Exhibitionism – The Rolling Stones are coming to New York City!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Yale chapter.

The history of the oldest rock band on the planet begins in late 1961 at a railway station in Dartford / 18 miles southeast of London when Mick Jagger met his old school friend Keith Richards, and they both found out about their mutual enthusiasm for the music of Buddy Waters and Jimmy Reed.

Together with Brian Jones (after his death in 1969 Mick Taylor and Ron Wood joined the group), Bill Wyman (replaced in 1993 by Darryl Jones) and Charlie Watts, they founded the Rolling Stones. The first stage appearance takes place in London in 1962. “Come On”, the first single was released in 1963.

Worldwide success, sold out tours as well as conflict with the record companies, drug problems and separation rumors accompanied their career.

In 1989 the band was added to the Rock n’ Roll Hall of Fame.

In April 2016, the Saatchi Gallery in Chelsea / London opened an exhibition that covered over 50 years of the rock history of the Rolling Stones. This journey through time happened in close collaboration with the Stones and there are numerous historical documents such as photos, tour posters, instruments, old diaries, video and audio installations to be seen. The first apartment Mick, Keith and Brian shared has also been rebuilt.

While I was in London during the summer, I visited the exhibition and was very impressed with its level of detail and variety of facets that provided you an insight into the early life of these absolute legends.

Now the exhibition is coming to NYC! Please do yourself a favor and pay it a visit – it is definitely worth your while, I promise!  

Exhibitionism will open at Industria in New York City’s West Village this November

Just off the Highline 775 Washington St. West Village New York, NY 10014