This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Yale chapter.

When it comes to designer pieces, handbags tend to reign as the most desired accoutrements. However, for many, investing in a high-end purse results in a lack of financial resources to store within. Despite the fact that not being able to attain a luxury handbag is a grievance among countless women, there truly is no need to despair. The most important aspect when constructing one’s wardrobe, is to be realistic about one’s budget. Accept what you can and cannot afford. Even better, embrace it as a way to venture beyond the latest trending pieces, and discover more economical alternatives.

While in pursuit of affordable handbags, it is essential to seek non-labeled items. One of the easiest ways to lessen an outfit’s appeal is the addition of a purse embellished with a low quality or imitation brand.  An unlabelled handbag is discrete, pairs well, improves versatility, and lessens others’ ability to gauge its dollar equivalency. Furthermore, pay careful attention to how the purse’s seams are threaded. If the item in the store already presents indications of unraveling, or poor sewing techniques, a few days of ownership will make your bag appear like a thrift store purchase. Moreover, if metal detailing is present on a bag of interest, really evaluate the quality of the finish. If a metal appears that it will tarnish, scratch easily, or leave a residue after contacting moisture, stop, drop the bag, and roll onto another option. Unsatisfactory alloy accents are never a stylish option. Always remember low cost does not universally dictate poor quality nor unfavourable aesthetics, so do not settle.  

While you may fervently aspire to eventually possess one of the following designer handbags, below are some suggested alternatives to help inspire you to maintain your stylish aura and positive bank account balance.