Why Meatless Monday?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

Meatless Monday is a catchy alliteration, but what does this phrase actually mean? And why are people adopting the practice of going meatless one day a week? Well, it turns out that the campaign to cut back on meat in our diets is super important not only for our own health, but also for the health of the planet.

Meatless Monday is basically a movement to get people to be more conscious about the way that their diet affects the environment, and proponents for Meatless Monday have some compelling reasons behind their campaign.The meat industry is responsible for a lot of the environmental problems that we are having to deal with, including rising levels of greenhouse gas emissions like carbon and methane, overusing water resources, and wasting energy.

For instance, let’s say that on any given Monday you usually grab a burger for lunch while you’re running between classes. Did you know that the amount of water needed to produce that burger patty is the equivalent to the amount of water you will use to shower for the next 2.5 months? Or, that the energy used to produce that burger patty could charge your phone for the next 4.5 years?

In fact, if everyone in the world decided to cut out meat one day per week it would cause the same reduction in greenhouse gas emissions as taking 240 million cars off the road each year!

Going meatless is not only good for the Earth, it can also improve your health. Cutting out meat once a day can decrease your risk of heart disease, cancer, diabetes, and obesity. But eating meat-free doesn’t mean that you have to miss out on valuable protein. Lots of foods are high in protein, including veggies like beans and peas, and so are eggs, nuts, and seeds. If you’re REALLY adventurous, crickets contain lots of protein (just kidding, of course, but they really are protein-rich little guys).

As the harmful effects of climate change begin to affect our daily lives, the least we can do is take one simple step to reduce our ecological footprint. If Meatless Monday sounds right up your alley, or even if you’re a little skeptical, you can find some delicious meat-free recipes all over the web.

The power to save our planet is in your hands!

Wesite Sources: 1, 2, 3

Picture Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4

Margot Bond

Xavier '20

Margot is a senior Economics, Sustainability, and Society major with minors in Political Science and Gender and Diversity Studies from Louisville, Kentucky. In addition to writing articles for Her Campus, she is a Resident Assistant at Xavier and involved in student sustainability. She loves listening to John Mayer, watching Netflix, and doing crosswords with her boyfriend. Most importantly, she is 100% a cat person.