TEDxXavierUniversity 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

If you’re looking for something fun and inspiring to do before the end of the semester, get a ticket to TEDxXavierUniversity, Xavier’s sixth annual TEDx event on Thursday, April 6th at 6:00 p.m. TEDxXavierUniversity is an independent, student-organized TED licensed event, where four outstanding speakers will share their ideas under the theme: Luminescence.

Luminescence can be a twinkle, a light, or a vision that reveals something new or provides guidance and a path forward. This year, TEDxXavierUniversity is asking the question, what are you illuminating?

But what exactly is TEDx? And what does it mean to have a TEDx event on campus? HCXU has the answers to all your TED related questions.

As a nonprofit organization dedicated to fostering ideas worth spreading, TED showcases today’s leading thinkers and their ideas in the form of short, powerful talks available to watch online at TED.com. While some talks are given at TED’s annual conference in Vancouver, British Columbia, countless TED talks have been given at independently organized TEDx events like the ones on college campuses (x = independently organized).

At this year’s event, four speakers will delve into four very distinct ideas in their talks:

Taylor Zachary – Brueggemann Fellow at Xavier University

Angela Mazzi – Architect at G.B.B.N Architects3

Ryan Niemiec – Educational Director, VIA Character

Zach Huhn – Chairman of the Board for Venture Strategy Partners.

Along with these visionary speakers, the event will be emceed by XU senior Hannah Sheppard.

The event will be held at the Kennedy Auditorium in the Conaton Learning Commons with doors opening at 5:30 p.m. Tickets are $5 for current Xavier students and faculty, and $20 for the general public. To find out more about TEDxXavierUniversity, check them out on Facebook and Twitter, and purchase tickets through their website or at Eventbrite.

Margot Bond

Xavier '20

Margot is a senior Economics, Sustainability, and Society major with minors in Political Science and Gender and Diversity Studies from Louisville, Kentucky. In addition to writing articles for Her Campus, she is a Resident Assistant at Xavier and involved in student sustainability. She loves listening to John Mayer, watching Netflix, and doing crosswords with her boyfriend. Most importantly, she is 100% a cat person.