The Scary Sweet Origin of Sugar Skulls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

The spookiest time of year is upon us, when the line between the living and the dead will invariably be crossed, whether through scary costumes at halloween parties or long walks through ghostly graveyards.

In the spirit of all things frightening, we here at HCXU decided to delve a little deeper into some spooky traditions, like the sugar skulls that are common at Dia de Los Muertos celebrations. Although often overlooked, there is a rich history behind the sugar skull face paint that so many people love to wear to Halloween house parties.

Dia de los Muertos, also known as Day of the Dead, is a holiday celebrated throughout Mexico during the three days of Oct. 31st and Nov. 1st and 2nd. During these days, families and friends gather at cemeteries to pray for their loved ones who have passed into the afterlife, and to celebrate their spiritual journeys by decorating their graves and building altars to commemorate them. Since its origins, Dia de Los Muertos has evolved into a huge celebration and public holiday in Mexico.

But what does all of this have to do with sugary skulls? Calaveras, or sugar skulls, are a common treat at Dia de Los Muertos festivities. Edible skulls are formed out of sugar or chocolate and decorated with colorful icings. Decorative calaveras are traditionally made of clay and are used to decorate graves.

These treats may seem scary, but their colorful designs and sweetness are meant to represent the vitality and uniqueness of the departed. Go forth and spread the spooky!

Margot Bond

Xavier '20

Margot is a senior Economics, Sustainability, and Society major with minors in Political Science and Gender and Diversity Studies from Louisville, Kentucky. In addition to writing articles for Her Campus, she is a Resident Assistant at Xavier and involved in student sustainability. She loves listening to John Mayer, watching Netflix, and doing crosswords with her boyfriend. Most importantly, she is 100% a cat person.
Lauren is a senior Marketing major, with minors in Economics and Gender & Diversity Studies at Xavier University. She calls Nashville, Tennessee home, and is the Campus Correspondent and President of HCXU. When she is not writing, she is planning events on the Student Activities Council, building her resume with her brothers in Delta Sigma Pi, or making random Spotify playlists. She is a Diet Coke enthusiast, and wishes she could spend every day hiking or playing with her dog.