Plants for Every College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

Impress roommates, friends and parents with the ability to keep plants and watch them thrive. Consider owning one of the following low maintenance plants to up the decor and personal confidence in keeping something alive.

Cacti and Succulents

Everyone loves a cute succulent whether big and spiky or small and floral. Desert plants are easy to take care of, especially if you forget things like watering plants, eating dinner or homework assignments. Unlike school however, your succulent doesn’t lower your grade if you forget it for a day or two.

Jade

While jade is a succulent, it comes under its own category as a larger, rubbery plant. When properly taken care of jade can easily outgrow its pot. While that sounds intimidating, it makes anyone feel like they have a green thumb when it grows big and strong.

Bamboo

Lucky bamboo comes small, big, woven or straight. It can be placed in a large clear vase full of water, or even a small coloured pot with stones. It doesn’t require a lot of light and even works as a natural air filter, making it decorative and healthy.

Pothos

A type of ivy, pothos will wrap around the curtain rods, banisters, lamp posts, shelving and unused textbooks left sitting on the bookshelf it sits on. When a piece falls off, it can easily be placed in water to re-root and planted into a new pot. Or you can give it to a friend.

Spider Plant

Grow, baby, grow. All a spider plant needs is access to sun and frequent watering in order to get bushy and produce tiny baby spider plants that can be plucked off for growth or repotted to easily make a new plant. Surprise a roommate coming back from a weekend trip with a room full of spider plants to show off that new gardening ability!

Air Plants

Concerned about growing plants? Find soil messy? Don’t want to mess with fertilizers? String up an air plant. Mist it weekly with a light water spray, high five! Nothing is more low maintenance than a plant that doesn’t need to be planted.

Picture Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Amber Lauzé is a senior Entrepreneurial Studies and Management double major from Auburn, Maine. When not writing for HCXU, she can found at one of her many jobs, or hunting for her cat that likes to hide in blankets.