This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

Although many may think Earth Day is far away, seeming how it’s on April 22nd, it always seems to sneak up on us and we miss participating or enjoying the Earth on this day. This year, we have decided to become more prepared and get a headstart on looking for activities and things to do on this day to appreciate the Earth.

1. March For Science

The slogan for this march is, “Science, Not Silence” and on April 22nd thousands of people will go out into the streets of many cities like Washington, D.C. and right here in Cincinnati to stand up for science. This is a celebration for science, to speak out and protect our scientific community. Due to recent policy changes many are worried about the scientific community and how it will affect it. So get out there and show your support for our plant and scientists! Below is a link for how you can get involved and join in on the march right here in downtown Cincinnati!

Check out the Facebook page!

2. Community Activities

Often times there are things to do throughout your community on Earth day. So we went on a little hunt online to see if we could find something happening around the area. We found an Earth day celebration from 12am-7pm in Summit Park in Blue Ash. It’s a celebration of a lifetime full of food trucks, vendors and exhibitions to honor the Earth. Below are some links to help you get involved!

Check out the website and Facebook page!

3. Plant Something

It doesn’t take much, but makes a big difference when you just go out and plant something or buy a plant and to have in your home. Many people are active in planting trees because according to www.treepeople.org, trees can lessen city’s degrees by 10. And not only that, but they make the air cleaner and healthier for you and those around you!

Here is a list of some smaller things that can make all the difference on Earth Day and everyday!

• Ride your bike
  • Buy reusable bags
  • Use a refillable bottle
  • Spend time outside

We’ll now leave you with some fun facts about Earth day, but remember you can do these little things today and everyday to help preserve our Earth!

• Earth Day was founded by Senator Gaylord Nelson on April 22nd, 1970
  • 20 million people attended the first Earth Day
  • Recycling saves 3 to 5 times the energy that waste incinerator power plants generate
  • Half of the world’s tropical and temperate forests are now gone
  • Website

Picture Source: 1, 2