Campus Profile: Jenny Biernat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

Name: Jenny Biernat

Hometown: Denver, Colorado

Majors/ Minors: Strategic Human Resource Management / Deaf Studies

What are you involved in at Xavier?

Women’s Lacrosse, Women in Business, Club Field Hockey, Bird Watching club, Outdoors club, Manresa Orientation Team Leader, Book Club, Free Hug Team, and Study Abroad.

What’s something that most people don’t know about you?

Most people don’t know that I can sing. My mom tried to get me to participate in Xavier Singers, or the AcaBella’s, but I am too self-conscious about my voice.

What is the best experience you’ve had at Xavier?

My best experience at Xavier was being chosen to lead Manresa for 2 years. Getting to watch the evolution of the leaders and how we welcome the first years was exciting. I also loved being a supportive role for the first year students during their transition.

Where have you studied abroad and can you tell us a little about it?

I have studied abroad 3 times: twice in Ireland and once in Costa Rica. Ireland was an amazing experience and a turning point in my Xavier career. I felt like the first time I studied in Ireland, I developed into the leader and the person that I want to be, from being challenged on a different level. The second time I went to Ireland because I was invited back to the same program to be a teacher’s assistant; Costa Rica was a totally different experience. We lived on a nature preserve in the rainforest with open-air living accommodations. Because of the experience of my Costa Rica study abroad, I discovered an unlikely connection between Human Resources and the ecological revolution. I would totally recommend any study abroad experience to anyone who is considering it. Experiencing different cultures and lifestyles is an amazing opportunity to learn and grow as a person.

What are your plans after graduation?

I will be starting my career in HR back home in Denver, Colorado. I will be one of the HR Coordinators for Ameristar Hotel and Casinos in Blackhawk, Colorado.

If you could pick anywhere in the world, where would you live?

I would live Ireland. I know it sounds cliché, but I want to work in the EU and Ireland is the best foothold for an American to gain EU/Irish citizenship. There is also incredible access to Western Europe. Ireland has some familiarity, so I would be comfortable, but it would still be a challenge for me.

If you could be any food, what would you be and why?

Chicken nuggets, because it’s a crowd pleaser, and I feel as though I make people happy (cue vine of the kid saying “I’ma chicken nugget” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3-5mc58Zm8).

Maggie is a Sport Management major with minors in Business and Deaf Studies. She an avid netflix watcher so if you need any suggestions for a new series to watch, she's got you. Her end goal is to work for the US women's national soccer team or the Detroit Pistons!