5 Dorm Rooms We’re Drooling Over (& How To Recreate Them!)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

New year, new dorm room to make home. As the first week of school settles in and parents are gone, you may be looking for some inspiration to make your small space uniquely your own. And we don’t blame you; the cement blocks along the wall scream drab and depressing. We’re coveting after these five dorm room layouts and wish we could be half as good at interior designing as these collegiettes.

You can also find all of these ideas pinned to our Pinterest page, as well as many other useful links to get you through the school year! 

These two roomies picked the most adorable (but contrasting) fabrics to create a complex look that still blends together. Notice that each girl has a different pillow on her respective bed – you can match and still be unique! This preppy wonderland reminds us of Tory Burch on a budget.

When in doubt, throw pillows. Not only do they make sleeping feel like you’re resting in a pile of clouds and are helpful when friends come over to hang out, they add so much more to the boring twin XL mattress that everyone gets on campus. Different textures and shapes will always work in your favor.

How many people do you know that has a canopy in their dorm rooms? Privacy and style go hand in hand here, while the cute tassels can brighten up unused space in the room (the space above your bed!). We’ve even found you a DIY here, which means you can make this in your free time after a quick trip to the craft store for all the supplies.

Another quick and cheap way to decorate your room is to make some of your wall art. Have a craft night with your friends and look up some inspirational quotes on Pinterest, and you’ve instantly got some new decorations to brighten up otherwise dull walls.

Who doesn’t love some twinkle lights to brighten up a space? Use yellow lights to create the glow-y look, which will be such a nice break from the harsh white overhead light that comes installed in the room already. You can string them across the ceiling, on the sides of your bed, dresser, or desk, or even around your doorframe! 

Brittany is a senior accounting major from Saint Louis, Missouri and is a Campus Correspondent for Xavier University. When not organizing Her Campus Xavier, she can be found working with Tedx Xavier University or Xavier Women in Business. She  wishes she could spend all of her free time with puppies.