13 Classic Romantic Films to Watch for a Girls Night In

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

Chick flicks are the quintessential form of entertainment for any girls night in; this romantic genre had its roots way back before Titanic and The Notebook stole our hearts. Hollywood’s golden age is where you’ll find some of the greatest love stories ever told. Here’s a list of some great romantic dramas, comedies and thrillers to swoon, sob and squeal over.

Jane Eyre (1943)

Orson Welles and Joan Fontaine star in the screen adaptation of Charlotte Brontë’s gothic novel. The mystery, suspense and forbidden love story will leave you wanting more. Also, check out the stunning 2011 version starring Mia Wasikowska and Michael Fassbender.

Roman Holiday (1953)

Ever wanted to spend a few spectacular days in Rome with a handsome journalist? You can live vicariously through Audrey Hepburn’s character, Princess Ann, and her guide to the stunning city, played by Gregory Peck. Hepburn won an Oscar for her performance in this charming romantic comedy.

Notorious (1946)

Alfred Hitchcock takes us on a journey to South America, where Ingrid Bergman and Cary Grant’s characters develop a love affair while spying on a group of Nazis. Only the master of suspense could tie mystery and romance together so well!

Born Yesterday (1950)

An uncouth New Yorker goes to Washington, DC in hopes of bribing some congressmen and increasing his wealth. He brings his fiance along with him, but soon realizes that he needs to hire a tutor to make her seem more cultured and intelligent to the political elite. Her love of learning soon blossoms into a love for her tutor as well.

Gone With the Wind (1939)

It’s THE classic love story! The timeless romance of Scarlett O’Hara and Rhett Butler is a must see for any chick flick connoisseur. The film is such a masterpiece, it won a whopping 8 Academy Awards!

Shop Around the Corner (1940)

This classic love story is so charming that there have been two remakes of it! Jimmy Stewart and Margaret Sullivan star in the original story of two coworkers who despise each other, but unwittingly fall in love through anonymous pen pal letters.

Laura (1944)

Is it possible for a detective to fall in love with the woman whose murder he’s investigating? You’ll have to watch this murder mystery to find out! Gene Tierney and Dana Andrews star in this unconventional tale, which is available on Netflix.

An Affair to Remember (1957)

Two lovers meet in New York City, both already committed to other people. They agree to meet again in six months at the Empire State building. But will everything work out? Follow Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr as they portray this dramatic relationship.

Singin’ in the Rain (1952)

A bright-eyed aspiring actress and an already-famous-name fall in love while trying to make their way from Hollywood silent pictures to “talkies.” Debbie Reynolds sings and dances alongside Gene Kelly in this critically-acclaimed romantic comedy.

The Philadelphia Story (1940)

It’s the story of Philadelphia socialites who get tangled up in mischief, miscommunication, and unrequited love. Cary Grant, Katharine Hepburn and Jimmy Stewart play the ultimate love triangle in this rom com classic. If you’re looking for a musical, High Society (1956) tells the same story while Bing Crosby, Grace Kelly and Frank Sinatra sing and dance.

Remember the Night (1940)

It doesn’t have to be Christmastime to enjoy this adorably implausible story of a shoplifter and her prosecuting attorney who spend Christmas together. Barbara Stanwyck and Fred MacMurray star in this sweet romantic comedy.

Kitty Foyle (1940)

Kitty Foyle is a young white-collar worker from a blue-collar family. Split between two cities and two lovers Kitty must chose which is right for her: Philadelphia and a young aristocrat or New York and a frugal doctor. Ginger Rogers won an Oscar for her performance in this film.

Breakfast at Tiffany’s (1961)

Last, but certainly not least, is the classic tale of the love between a New York socialite and her new neighbor. This timeless chick flick not only dazzles its audience with fabulous costumes, it also satisfies their desire to know that true love prevails. And who doesn’t love any film with an adorable cat?

Picture Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

Margot Bond

Xavier '20

Margot is a senior Economics, Sustainability, and Society major with minors in Political Science and Gender and Diversity Studies from Louisville, Kentucky. In addition to writing articles for Her Campus, she is a Resident Assistant at Xavier and involved in student sustainability. She loves listening to John Mayer, watching Netflix, and doing crosswords with her boyfriend. Most importantly, she is 100% a cat person.