10 Things I Wish I Knew Before Getting my Nose Pierced

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

Getting your nose pierced can be stressful. About a year ago, I got my nose pierced. This has been something that I have wanted to do since I was 10, but my parents wouldn’t let me. But when I turned 18, I finally got the okay; a few short months later, my nose piercing got infected and I had to take it out. As I’m going through the process of getting my nose re-pierced, it’s improtant to remember proper care in order to avoid the unfortunate situation I found myself in before. Here are things I wish that someone had told me befroe I had decided to get my piercing: 

1) At first I was scared because I didn’t know if it would look good on me. If you are also on the same page, you could go to Claire’s and buy a fake nose ring to see how it would look on you.

2) Do not over clean your nose ring, it is just as bad as not cleaning it. Follow the care and cleaning instructions the person pericing your nose gives you. 

3) Do not remove you nose ring even after it has healed, because no matter how long you’ve had it, it will form a bump.

4) Your nose will get really dry, so put on a lot of lotion.

5) Do not touch your nose piercing, you will get the urge to do it, just don’t do it.

6) If your nose ring accidentally falls out, try to quickly put it back in.

7) Your nose is a sensitive area, so it will hurt a lot when you get it pierced.

8) Do not get your nose pierced by a gun. Trust me.

9) Choose the right jewelry and make SURE you aren’t allergic to the metal.

10) You will stare at the mirror about 10 times a day to see how good you look in your nose ring. That’s okay; embrace your new look! 

Danielle Curtis is a Junior at Xavier University and is HCXU's Campus Correspondent. She is majoring in English with minors in media studies and writing. She loves traveling, reading, and watching videos of failed marriage proposals.