10 Reasons Why Milkshakes Are the Superior Dessert

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

Let’s talk about milkshakes, because we here at HCXU are pretty sure that they’re the best dessert ever invented. Before we get into our excellent reasons to get a milkshake instead of your average ice cream cone, let’s visit some history about the milkshake and how it came to be a staple of every burger place and creamery.

In 1885, the first mixtures to be called “milkshakes” were whiskey drinks that were more like eggnog and used as a medicinally as well as a tasty treat. By 1900 milkshakes referred to wholesome drinks made with flavored syrups, and people asked to have them served with ice cream at drug stores and soda fountains (basically the hang-outs for the town’s coolest kids). With the invention of the electric blender in 1922 the modern milkshake was born, and it has been bringing people together to sip its sweetness for nearly 100 years.

But milkshakes are not only great for their rich history… Here are our reasons that milkshakes are the superior dessert:

Straws over spoons

Straws are cute, colorful, and require less energy than spoons do.

You can eat them with one hand

Milkshakes are the perfect dessert for multitasking, because you only need one hand to hold them. This means that it’s extra convenient to hold other things with your empty hand. Like, for instance, another milkshake.

They’re easily portable

The wonderful thing about milkshakes is that you can easily transport them anywhere. They are the perfect travel companion, which means you can dare to take on the whole world, shake in hand.

No unneeded pressure to try and eat them before they melt

Licking an ice cream cone is too darn stressful! Especially on a hot summer day, you don’t need to subject yourself to the added pressure that ice cream cones inflict. Plus, have you ever had a cone with a hole in the bottom? They are THE WORST. Cups are so much more loyal than that.

Less messy

Melting cones always seem to spill on you. Milkshakes are premelted and perfectly contained. They are the ideal dessert for our klutziest friends, unless of course you tip them over…

Malts!

Let’s talk about malts, because they are the most delicious retro food that we should all be enjoying. Popularized by Walgreens in the 1920s, they’re milkshakes with malted milk, which is basically a combination of malted barley, wheat flour, and evaporated whole milk. Trust us, it’s more tasty than it sounds and it will make your shakes 100 times better. You’ll feel as if you’ve been transported back to a 1950s drive-in.

They pair well with french fries

Milkshakes and french fries were made for each other. The two most perfect snacks come together for a delicious combination of sweet and salty. Try it the next time you’re at your favorite burger place.

They take the least amount of energy to eat

Again, sipping delicious ice cream through a straw is the laziest way to eat everyone’s favorite dessert. Why exert yourself when you can use your energy on other tasks? It just makes sense.

They’re simple and delicious to make at home

There are lots of recipe books out there that can help you make the most delicious ice cream concoctions you’ve ever tasted. You can even find some on Amazon. If you can blend it, you can sip it.

Pure happiness in a cup

Milkshakes never fail to brighten your day. That’s why we say this tasty treat is the ultimate dessert. You can never go wrong with these blended beauties.

Margot Bond

Xavier '20

Margot is a senior Economics, Sustainability, and Society major with minors in Political Science and Gender and Diversity Studies from Louisville, Kentucky. In addition to writing articles for Her Campus, she is a Resident Assistant at Xavier and involved in student sustainability. She loves listening to John Mayer, watching Netflix, and doing crosswords with her boyfriend. Most importantly, she is 100% a cat person.