WVWC Style Icon: Olivia Hancock

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

Fashion designer Oscar de la Renta once said, “Fashion is about dressing according to what’s fashionable. Style is more about being yourself.” Though this philosophy is often easy to forget, it most definitely holds true for this semester’s first WVWC Style Icon, Olivia Hancock. For those of you who don’t know her, Olivia’s sense of style is unique and down-to-earth, much like her personality.

In addition to dressing like a superstar, Olivia is a force to be reckoned with at WVWC. With a 3.6 cumulative GPA and a double major in Musical Theatre and Drama Therapy, she is first and foremost a model student. But does she stop there? Why, of course not! Olivia is also involved in numerous co-curricular activities, including cheerleading, dance, and taking photos for WVWC’s student-run newspaper, The Pharos. You can even catch her in the Theatre Department’s production of The Laramie Project later this fall! Oh, and did I mention that she’ll be featured playing SEVEN different roles? In her extremely limited spare time, Olivia likes to unwind by doing yoga, rock-climbing, or kayaking. I know, right? How does she do it all?

Thankfully, Olivia was able to take some time out of her busy schedule for an interview about how she manages to stay so darn fabulous with everything else she has on her plate. So, without further ado, allow me to introduce WVWC’s latest Style Icon, Olivia Hancock!    

MS: How would you say that your style has evolved over the years?

OH: I’ve switched styles a lot, kind of. But, at the same time, my style hasn’t really changed that much because I’ve always appreciated different kinds of fashion. Like, on a global-scale. I love Indian Fashion Week, and I love New York Fashion Week, too. Basically, I love fashion from. So, I take what I like from that and put it into a wardrobe that isn’t necessarily “high-fashion.” In high school, I wore grunge-type clothing and then I slowly added more colors into my wardrobe. Now, I wear a lot of florals and kimonos. I just wear anything that’s comfortable, but I try to stay dressy-casual most of the time. Even when I’m wearing active wear, I think that it’s still important to make it look nice.

MS: Do you think that it’s important to change-up or evolve your style?

OH: I think that whatever makes you happy and makes you feel like the best you that you can feel, that’s what you should do. If you’re comfortable wearing sweatpants and a hoodie all the time, do it—because it’s what makes you comfortable, and that’s all that matters. If you look in the mirror and think, Oh, shoot, I look really nice in these jeans, then do it! It doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks about your style, because that’s what makes style: you.

MS: What advice would you give to your fellow students about style?

OH: Think about where you’re going and what type of situation you’re going to be in, and then think about how you want to dress. If you’re going to the movies, it’s just not comfortable to be in a mini-dress for two hours. Again, just be comfortable. 

MS: How would you describe your “look”?

OH: I don’t know…. I would say that it’s kind of eclectic. As I said before, I wear different pieces that I like and that I find interesting. Basically, if I see something in the store that catches my eye, I wear it. I didn’t plan my style; it just kind of happened.

MS: Where are some of your favorite places to shop?

OH: Thrift stores. I love thrifting. I worked in a thrift store this summer and I found a bunch of awesome pieces to add to my wardrobe. I also really like Hollister, as cliché as that is. I love online shopping and Forever 21. I like to find items that are reasonably-priced. The most expensive thing that I ever bought was a shark sweatshirt that cost 60 from a TopShop in France. But usually, I stick to the clearance racks.

MS: Do you have any signature pieces in your wardrobe or anything that you “can’t” live without?   

OH: Yes. I just went to see Phantom of the Opera on Broadway this summer and the theatre was selling really cute red t-shirts. Red is one of my favorite colors and Phantom is one of my favorite plays, so I had to get one, and now I absolutely love it. I’ve also been really into kimonos lately, so I have a few of those that I like to wear. I also have a shirt with a hamsa hand on it because I’m really into yoga and the study of Buddhism. I really like wearing novelty 80s movie shirts, too—John Hughes movies, mostly. And I got brand new, jet-black Vans this summer that I can wear with practically anything.

MS: Well, fall is officially-unofficially here. What are you looking most forward to wearing this season?

OH: As some of my best friends know, my go-to outfits are either black jeggings or black leggings with oversized sweaters and boots. Fall is my favorite season, so going to class in a humongous sweater with the smell of fall in the air is a great feeling. Fall is also the easiest time to be fashionable because you can wear anything; you can still wear shorts if you want to, you can start wearing long pants, you can still wear t-shirts or sweaters. Fall is the best time for style.

MS: Do you have anyone’s style in particular that you admire?

OH: I love Kylie Jenner’s style. I mean, her bracelets probably cost as much as our tuition, but she manages to look glamorous and earthy at the same time. She can get away with matte black lipstick and still look fashionable. I mean, can you admire the style of someone who’s younger than you? Because I do.          

Maty recently graduated Summa Cum Laude from West Virginia Wesleyan College (WVWC), and she couldn’t be more excited to return to the Her Campus family as a member of the Community Team.  Maty’s passion for writing has guided her through most of her adult life, and it eventually brought her to to the Her Campus Chapter Network as a Style Blogger for Her Campus WVWC. Maty would go on to become Campus Correspondent of her chapter, as well as an intern for Her Campus National and a Chapter Advisor.  Through her different roles at HC, Maty quickly fell in love with the mission and purpose of the Her Campus Chapter Network—and in her new role, Maty has the rare and coveted opportunity to do what she loves on a daily basis by working with a growing network of 360+ college chapters.    When Maty isn’t at the office, she’s usually out exploring, cooking some random recipe she found on Pinterest, or cuddling with her adorable corgi, Winnie.  Follow Maty on Twitter and Instagram !
West Virginia Wesleyan College, English Writing and Communications major.