WVWC Style Icon: Kirsten Reneau

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

Please give a warm welcome to HerCampus WVWC’s latest Style Icon, Kirsten Reneau!

For those of you who don’t know Kirsten (Which, let’s face it, how could you not?), she’s a sophomore carrying a double-major in English and Gender Studies. On top of all that, she still manages to carry out her duties as a Service Scholar and is an active member of WVWC’s Honors program; she even got to spend her Spring Break in Paris! One of Kirsten’s favorite aspects of WVWC is Greek Life. She is a member of the Alpha Gamma Delta sorority and strives to maintain a close relationship with all of her sisters.

But with her charismatic, witty personality, maintaining friendships definitely isn’t an issue for Kirsten! In addition to being a collegiate who’s constantly on the go, Kirsten always succeeds in piecing together unique, stylish outfits that reflect her one-of-a-kind personality and originality. Just read her responses; you’ll see what I’m talking about!

MS: How would you describe your day-to-day wardrobe? How is it unique? KR: My wardrobe is unique in that it’s so versatile. I’m a big believer in wearing what you feel comfortable in—and while some days, I feel comfortable in high heels and a skirt, other days I’m comfortable in a t-shirt and a beanie.

MS: Care to share some of your fashion philosophies with our readers? KR: Whatever you’re wearing, you are presenting a certain image and branding yourself. Each image can create a different personality, and it’s important to be aware of that.

MS: How would you define “style”? Do you think that it’s something that defines us or that we define it? KR: I definitely think that we should be able to individually define style. To me, style is feeling good. I feel better when I know that I match, and that’s “stylish” enough for me.

MS: Summer is coming up! How do you transition from winter garb and into spring frocks? KR: As quickly as humanly possible.

MS: Where are some of your favorite places to shop? KR: I am a huge internet junkie. I love modcloth; it’s always classic and I’ve never gotten something bad from there. I’m also a big fan of thrift stores because you never know what you’ll find.

MS: Do you typically follow trends or march to the beat of your own drum? KR: I’m awful at keeping up with trends. I kind of do whatever I want, whether that’s a maxi skirt and flower crown or combat boots and a jean jacket. I’m also lucky in that I’m in a sorority (Alpha Gamma Delta), so I never lack someone to borrow something from.

MS: What are some of your favorite fashion staples? KR: I’m a big believer in having a singular “outfit maker,” or “that one thing you always get compliments on.” Whether it’s a statement necklace or a cool pair of shoes, if I want to look really good, I’ll wear a lot of basics with the one piece I absolutely love. I’m also super into color-blocking right now; you can never go wrong with it.

MS: What advice would you give to your fellow students in regard to finding their own personal style, or just dressing in general? KR: Don’t underestimate the power of red lipstick in appropriate situations. Also know your body and what colors flatter your skin-tone. What looks good on one person doesn’t look good on everyone, and that’s okay. You just have to find what you rock and then own it. Confidence is key to looking good in anything.

Maty recently graduated Summa Cum Laude from West Virginia Wesleyan College (WVWC), and she couldn’t be more excited to return to the Her Campus family as a member of the Community Team.  Maty’s passion for writing has guided her through most of her adult life, and it eventually brought her to to the Her Campus Chapter Network as a Style Blogger for Her Campus WVWC. Maty would go on to become Campus Correspondent of her chapter, as well as an intern for Her Campus National and a Chapter Advisor.  Through her different roles at HC, Maty quickly fell in love with the mission and purpose of the Her Campus Chapter Network—and in her new role, Maty has the rare and coveted opportunity to do what she loves on a daily basis by working with a growing network of 360+ college chapters.    When Maty isn’t at the office, she’s usually out exploring, cooking some random recipe she found on Pinterest, or cuddling with her adorable corgi, Winnie.  Follow Maty on Twitter and Instagram !
A public relations major with a passion for social media, the arts, and all things Disney, writer Corinne Weaver hopes to bring some Her Campus flare to WVWC. Weaver performs with the WVWC Theatre and Dance department, is a sister of Alpha Delta Pi, and interned at the National Aquarium in the Summer of '14! This Co-Editor-In-Chief will always love her close-knit hometown of Oakland, Maryland, but looks forward to opportunities to branch out in the future. Follow her @CorinneWeaver4 on Twitter and Instagram!