Women of Wesleyan: Anne Wilson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

This week’s Woman of Wesleyan is Her Campus’ own Anne Wilson! Anne is a theatre administration major from Elkins, WV. This weekend, she’s starring in Wesleyan’s production of Agnes of God! We sat down with Anne to learn more about this experience, the play and her character! Here’s what she had to say:

First things first, what is this play about? The play is about a young novice entering the convent who mysteriously had a child that non opn eknew about and nobody knew who the father was. It explores the ideas of faith’s ambiguity, a belief in miracles, and psychology’s fight for finding answers.

What character do you play in Agnes of GodI play the tole of Mother Miriam Ruth, the mother superior of the convent where the show takes place.

What’s your favorite thing about playing your character? My favorite part has been the challenge it put me through to be a strong, hard-headed, if you will, character. Morther Miriam has to defend her faith to the psychiatrist while also protecting Agnes from losing her innocence and insisting that the baby has no father.

What’s been most challenging about your part? The amount of lines! I’ve never had to memorize this many lines for a show. In addition, protraying an elderly nun took a lot of preparation that I struggled with for the first few weeks of rehearsal.

Did you see Agnes of God prior to auditioning for the WVWC production of it? I never saw this show, nor had heard of it, before WVWC.

How long did you prepare for this play? We’ve been preparing for this play during this semester, so it’s been a bit over a month. We rehearsed five nights a week for 3 hours and the week before the show, it got a bit more intense (including a 9 hour rehearsal).

There you have it! Don’t miss the last two showings of this play; student admission is only $3! Performances will be Saturday, February 25 at 8 PM and a Sunday matinee on the 26th at 2 PM. Be sure to catch Anne as she portrays Mother Miriam Ruth!

Just a small town girl living in an even smaller college town. I'm an Accounting major at WVWC in hopes of someday going to law school. I enjoy coffee, jumping in puddles, & petting the locals' dogs when they take them for walks on campus.