Why You Need to Step Outside of Your Comfort Zone in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

“We are not yet what we shall be, but we are growing toward it, the process is not yet finished.” – Martin Luther

Our early 20s are a special time in our lives. Figuring out who we are now plays a huge role in where we see our future selves. College is the perfect place for personal growth because it pushes you outside of your comfort zone. After all, college is supposed to broaden our horizons and challenge us to think outside of the box.

However, some people never adjust to the college environment because they don’t give it a chance. Many people in college focus their all of their attention on academics, leaving no room for extracurricular activities or social outings. This is a problem because it leads to many missed opportunities:

1. Gaining social skills. In college, social skills are largely developed at social events and in organizations you join. However, if you never cut out time for socialization, you’ll lose the opportunity to meet new people. When you join an organization, you learn how to work as a team and communicate your ideas, which are essential skills to have in the work force.

2. Meeting lifelong friends. If you don’t step outside of your comfort zone, you will have a hard time making new friends. They are who gets you through the bad days. You have to learn to be open with new people. It’s great to strive for A’s in school, but sometimes you need to let go, get school off of your mind, and have genuine fun with friends.

3. Personal Growth. Whenever you’re forced to adjust to a new environment, in a way, you learn to reinvent yourself. You have to change at your core, but some change is healthy. We choose whether or not we want to grow sometimes, but, once you find your place in college, you will feel so much better. College is all about balance.

4. Focusing on the learning process. Getting an A in a class is great, but there’s more to it. Did you really enjoy the actual learning process that comes with an A? Did the material change your perspective on the world? It’s about the journey, not just the destination.

So, give the college environment a chance. The most personal growth occurs outside of your comfort zone. You will learn about qualities you have that you never knew were there before. Don’t limit yourself! Time goes by fast in college and you can’t relive it. You will get the most out of college if you really try to enjoy the experience. If you never try new things, join organizations or put yourself out there, college will simply not be as enjoyable. Life is simply too short not to live in the moment.

I enjoy writing for Her Campus, studying Sociology, cooking, and listening to music. I have an appreciation for learning about the world we live in and how to make it a better place for everyone.  I hope you enjoy my articles!