Valentine’s Day 2013 Campus Style Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

Valentine’s Day is one of love and happy emotions, but it’s also one for fashion. Girls who normally dress to impress wear their best duds on this day, sporting anything from bright red jeans to scarves with printed, puckered lips. This year’s V-Day was nothing short of a fashion show for Wesleyan’s women. Let’s review some of our favorite looks!

Residence Life Coordinator Nikita O’Connor spent a fun Valentine’s Day at the Museum of Natural History in Washington, DC. “I even wore my red jeans in honor of the day,” Nikita said. Red jeans became especially hot last fall, but who’s to say we have to fold them up and shut them away in our dresser drawers? This holiday served as a perfect time to break out the statement jean once again, and, boy, did Nikita wear them well!

It’s a jungle out there! Cuties Writer Ceirra Coon rocked a wild animal print top last Thursday. Complete with shifting shades and the ever-popular meshed backing, the top was able to display her sweet, playful and daring nature. “My favorite part about it is that it’s shorter in the front, then long in the back,” Ceirra said. Her signature hair bow garnished the look.

Alpha Delta Pi President Emma Turner added a bold pop of color to her love-ly neutral outfit last week. “I like to combine comfy with cute by pairing leggings with a graphic sweater in the winter,” Emma said. Her scarf, decorated with countless pink kisses, draped effortlessly around her neck, finishing her lighthearted attire and sealing the look with a kiss.

Ready for more red? Photographer Kelsey Bowman got a little “theme oriented” this Valentine’s Day. Kelsey’s red hair bow and dress were real showstoppers, and the wide black belt around her waist elongated her legs, making her appear even taller than those red heels could convey. “I love retro style, and I knew I wanted to wear red, so this was my ideal outfit for Valentine’s day,” Kelsey said. Speaking of retro, check out those chic, cat eye glasses!

News Writer Kirsten Reneau spread stylish comic relief last Thursday. Her dress literally spoke to passers-by, shouting, “Kiss me!” to all whom she encountered. This Mod Cloth original is one of her favorites because, according to Kirsten, “there’s no way to wear it without getting at least one comment”! Her red shoes accentuated the warm-colored comic frames, and her grey sweater and black tights made the seasonal dress one that would perfectly serve the cold winter weather.

Love was, as expected, a reoccurring theme that dictated style this Valentine’s Day. The most popular colors among fashionistas were the vibrant red hues that always found their way onto the girls’ clothing, all the while coursing through their lovestruck veins. Wesleyan women truly topped this year’s level of fashion expertise. They really know how to bring it!

“Darling! It must be love!”

Ashley Young, a native of Hurricane, W.Va., is more than just your typical college senior. She spent last summer interning with Thomas Nelson Publishers, the world's largest Christian publishing company (also America's sixth largest), and she's currently a features intern at Seventeen Magazine in NYC. She even lives in Manhattan! Ashley's also an oil painter, a lover of laughter, and she's engaged. Readers can gladly keep up with her day-to-day happenings by following @AshleyIsYoung on Twitter and Instagram.