V-Day Guide: Dinner and a Movie in Buckhannon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

Let’s get real: this Friday, TOMORROW, is Valentine’s Day.

Your date has been on your case all week to decide on something to do, but you’ve been too busy to think of anything fun, romantic, or exciting that would keep you both interested and spending time together. Here’s an idea: Go classic. Dinner and a movie. BOOM.

Wait. Now there are options.

You see, I’m not just going to leave you hanging. If I’m going to suggest dinner and a movie, I’m going to give you some dinner and movie ideas!

Dinner

What do you like to eat? Food.

What kind of food do you like to eat? Mexican, Chinese, Japanese, Pizza, Italian, Steak, Fried Food, the options are endless.

There are a few places around town. If you want Mexican, we have two restaurants. If you want more Eastern Oriental cuisine, we have a couple take out places. Pizza is everywhere. If you want Italian that is closer to authentic, your best bet will be somewhere in Clarksburg like Minard’s or Oliverio’s. If you’re looking for steak, I’m not sure how Benett’s steakhouse is, but Outback is about forty minutes north up by the mall in Bridgeport. Fried food is EVERYWHERE. If you want to go out, don’t forget we have Elkins about thirty minutes away and Clarksburg forty minutes away, and there are quite a bit more options there (including a Japanese hibachi grill in Clarksburg). Be sure if you’re going to go to a place like the Japanese place that you call ahead and be sure that you don’t need to have reservations. A lot of people are going to want to take their sweetheart out for a special dinner to show just how much they care.

Movie Picking

the perfect movie for you and your date can be difficult. If you ask your man, you know he’s going to say to pick whatever you want because it’s Valentine’s Day, but you know that a chick flick probably isn’t his first pick.

This past weekend, my boyfriend and I went to see That Awkward Moment, the new movie with Zac Efron, and it was hilarious. My boyfriend and I both agree that, if you’re looking for a movie with a mix of a guy’s night movie and a chick flick, this is the film for you. If you’re looking for something satirical and animated, The Lego Movie is a good option. I honestly thought it would be stupid, but when I saw it (in 3-D) on Saturday night, it was funny, it was sweet, and I honestly had a great time! You’ll leave singing, “EVERYTHING IS AWESOME! EVERYTHING IS COOL WHEN YOU’RE PART OF A TEAM!” It will get stuck in your head. Some movies coming out this weekend for you more romantic types include Endless Love, About Last Night, and Winter’s Tale.

About Last Night synopsis (from Cinemark): “While out with loudmouthed pal Bernie (Kevin Hart), Danny (Michael Ealy) meets successful businesswoman Debbie (Joy Bryant), who’s as leery of relationships as Danny is. However, Danny and Debbie both feel the pull of undeniable attraction, and they end up spending the first of several nights together. The two try to make a success of being a couple despite warnings from Bernie and Joan (Regina Hall), Debbie’s best friend. Meanwhile, Bernie and Joan experience some chemistry of their own.”

Endless Love synopsis (from Cinemark): “Following their high-school graduation, Jade Butterfield (Gabriella Wilde), a sheltered but privileged teen, becomes enthralled with David Elliot (Alex Pettyfer), a working-class youth with a troubled past. Though Jade and David fall quickly in love, Jade’s father (Bruce Greenwood) strongly disapproves of the match, while David’s father (Robert Patrick) advises caution. However, their parents’ disapproval only makes the lovestruck teens more determined to pursue their intense affair.”

Winter’s Tale synopsis (from Cinemark): “One night in early 20th-century New York, master thief Peter Lake (Colin Farrell) breaks into a Central Park mansion — and quickly has his heart stolen by its occupant, Beverly Penn (Jessica Brown Findlay). Unfortunately, their love is star-crossed; she is dying from consumption, and he is marked for death by his demonic former mentor, Pearly Soames (Russell Crowe). Peter battles the forces of time and darkness to save Beverly, even as Pearly does everything in his power to defeat Peter.”

If you’re strapped for cash, or want to stay close to the dorms, you can totally still have dinner and a movie. Go use some Cats Claw dollars and then come back to your room and watch a movie together. Or, go grab Cats Claw and go to Hyma Auditorium and watch Catching Fire with your sweetheart, special thanks to Bobcat Entertainment for a great movie being shown on Valentine’s Day.

2015 graduate, and part of the founding HerCampus WVWC team, Stephanie now works as a Technical Writer for a technology contractor in Bridgeport, WV. Stephanie married her husband, JR, in October 2014, and together they have one toddler girl who is stealing their hearts and sanity one day and one dumped bowl of crackers at a time.
A public relations major with a passion for social media, the arts, and all things Disney, writer Corinne Weaver hopes to bring some Her Campus flare to WVWC. Weaver performs with the WVWC Theatre and Dance department, is a sister of Alpha Delta Pi, and interned at the National Aquarium in the Summer of '14! This Co-Editor-In-Chief will always love her close-knit hometown of Oakland, Maryland, but looks forward to opportunities to branch out in the future. Follow her @CorinneWeaver4 on Twitter and Instagram!