Trick-or-Treat For Canned Goods Helps Community

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

With homecoming, alumni weekend, and fall break right around the corner, October is an exciting month for students. One of the most talked about weekends, however, is Halloween,

So many students and area residents participate in Halloween festivities, WE LEAD Poverty and Reduction Team takes full advantage.

WE LEAD is a WVWC organization that helps students learn leadership skills, engage in the community, and educate others about important societal issues.

The team will host a Trick-or-Treat for canned goods on October 31st, during Buckhannon’s community Trick-or-Treat times.

WE LEAD members, and students who volunteer their time, dress up in costumes and go trick-or-treating in the community. Instead of asking for candy, volunteers ask for canned good donations to contribute to the Parish House food bank of Upshur County.

Jessica Walter, Co-Leader for the WE LEAD Sustainability and Food Security and Issue Team encourages all to join in on the fun.

“Trick-or-Treat for canned goods is a really great event to get involved in. It is rewarding to know that so many canned goods are being collected for those who don’t have enough to eat in Upshur County,” Walter said. “Everyone is welcome to join in for a fun service opportunity in support of an amazing organization.”

WE LEAD also partners up with other organizations on campus to collect cans, and contribute to the Parish House. Greek Life, sports teams, and other groups team up in the effort to help fight hunger.

Philanthropy chair, and brother of the Kappa Alpha Order, Logan Moody, said “this is such a great opportunity for my brothers, and the campus to get involved in a cause that effects so many people around us. We are able to volunteer our time to help those who really need it, and have fun while doing so.”

WE LEAD advertises their functions through the school email and a personal website through the school as well, so keep an eye out for upcoming details. 

This article contributed to HC WVWC by Pharos newspaper writer Hannah Gurtis

A public relations major with a passion for social media, the arts, and all things Disney, writer Corinne Weaver hopes to bring some Her Campus flare to WVWC. Weaver performs with the WVWC Theatre and Dance department, is a sister of Alpha Delta Pi, and interned at the National Aquarium in the Summer of '14! This Co-Editor-In-Chief will always love her close-knit hometown of Oakland, Maryland, but looks forward to opportunities to branch out in the future. Follow her @CorinneWeaver4 on Twitter and Instagram!