This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

An apple a day keeps the doctor away; that’s my motto! Apples are one of the most delicious fruit snacks in the whole orchard. Whether you want to dip them in peanut butter or bake them in a pie, apples are very versatile and nutritious. Here are the top five apples of autumn.

5. Granny Smith:

These light green, crispy apples are often tart and juicy! Due to their high acidity, Granny Smith apples are most popularly used for cooking apples. And yes, these apples were named after Granny herself in 1868!

4. Gala:

Gala apples are one of the most widely-grown apples in the world! With a sweet flavor and soft center, Gala apples are very delicious and versatile. A fun fact about Gala apples is that they are named in honor of Queen Elizabeth who dotted about how they were her favorite apple variety. So technically, if you eat Gala apples, you can be considered royalty.

3. Pink Lady:

Pink Lady apples, or ‘Cripps Pink’ are actually crossed with the popular Golden Delicious apples. Pink Lady apples are actually red with a pale-yellow flesh. The flavor is very sweet and sharp. This is definitely a fall-time favorite.

2. Red Delicious:

What is an autumn apple list without the popular Red Delicious? The Red Delicious has been a superstar across America since the 1940s. The sweet, mildly flavored apple is popular because it is very versatile for snacking, baking, and canning.

1. Honeycrisp:

Honeycrisp is the clear winner in this amazing apple race. Honeycrisp apples are the only apples that matter. There is no greater apple for sweetness, firmness, and juiciness. Honeycrisp apples cover it all! If you don’t believe that they are the best, I have proof. Honeycrisp apples were actually cultivated to be the best apple ever made.

Now that you know the facts, get snacking while you still can this autumn!

Until next time, HCXO!

Image Source:

https://www.spoon.com/blog/2012/11/honeycrisp-apple-conserve/

Junior Public Relations major. I have an obsession with my dog and every form of coffee.