This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

*I’d like to take a moment and make a disclaimer: I am not in a sorority and I have never been through the process to become part of a sorority.*

With Jump Weekend among us, new sorority ladies are frantically running from meeting to meeting in Holloway’s sorority suites, trying to find the right fit for them.

Since I was a freshman, I considered joining a sorority. I watched people I hung out with join a sorority, either from high school, or those I lived around. I watched their tired eyes come in from a late night of pledging, running from a class meeting to make it in time for chapter, or barely able to get homework done and stressing about practices and routines for Spring Sing.

I mentally created pro/con lists, spoke with members of different sororities, researched sororities in depth, and even picked a dream sorority to join.

I’m now a senior, and my life is void of Greek letters.

What will you decide? Will you find your place in one of the four female social fraternities on campus? Will you choose to make lifelong friends and connections with some of the oldest female groups on campus?

Watch Jump this weekend and see how the comraderie and sisterhood affects your decision. Ir you’re a Freshman, take some time to really weigh your options, just not as long as I did.

Think about time commitments and cost, but also remember to think of the great benefits to joining.

Did you know that you can get scholarships?

You’ll make connections with young women of the same beliefs and ideas and commitment to your sorority across the country. Based on these connections, you may be able to be connected with a great job you have always dreamed of having.

You’ll make a set of lifelong friends who will support you and inspire you, comfort you and give you a little smack around (figuratively, hopefully) when you need it.

Although the pledging process may seem a little daunting and stressful at times, the next time around, you’ll be able to guide the new potential members through their processes, with the understanding of what you felt like when you were in their shoes.

Imagine the impact you can make on campus through your organization and how you can make other people make Wesleyan their “Home Among the Hills”.

If you’re on the fence, the best thing you can do is go to one of the many mixers the sororities will have throughout the year, get to know the ladies in each, and then make an educated decision. There is no right thing, so enjoy finding your voice!

2015 graduate, and part of the founding HerCampus WVWC team, Stephanie now works as a Technical Writer for a technology contractor in Bridgeport, WV. Stephanie married her husband, JR, in October 2014, and together they have one toddler girl who is stealing their hearts and sanity one day and one dumped bowl of crackers at a time.
West Virginia Wesleyan College, English Writing and Communications major.