Style Interview with Kelly Lee, Founder / Editor of KellyGolightly.com

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

From the very first glance, you’ll see that this Audrey Hepburn-esque gal knows a thing or two about life and entertainment.

Kelly Lee, Founder and Editor of KellyGolightly.com, is an unstoppable force when it comes to fashion, beauty and lifestyle expertise. From her sunny abode in Beverly Hills to the streets of Paris, Kelly has the full scoop on all things glamorous. She was kind enough to share bits of her story, perspective and wisdom with Her Campus WVWC.

Her Campus: What have you been up to recently?
Kelly Lee: We recently bought a weekend house in Palm Springs, so I’ve been doing lots of vintage shopping and decorating! I’ve also recently partnered with some great brands to host some fun parties, so I’ve been in entertaining mode. And we’re on a trip to London and Paris now!

HC: It seems like you’re always up to something fun. Do you ever have trouble finding a new adventure?
KL: We’re very lucky that, in Southern California, adventure awaits at every turn. I am a huge fan of Beverly Hills (and the ability to walk to Sprinkles Ice Cream on a whim!) or lunch on a rooftop while imbibing sunshine, but I also love Palm Springs and the desert. If we have down time (which is becoming more and more rare these days), my husband and I love to jump in the car and hit the road to explore. Whether it’s to Malibu for the afternoon or Santa Ynez for a weekend in beautiful wine country, the journey is always the best part.

HC: That is so exciting! Speaking of journeys, at what age did you realize you wanted to jump into entertainment, beauty and fashion?
KL: I was pretty much a tomboy growing up, but I credit (or blame?) my best friend Brandi for introducing me to fashion magazines in 8th grade. That’s when the love affair with fashion started and deepened with slumber party viewing sessions of Behind the Velvet Rope with Lauren Ezersky. Dreams of living in New York and working in magazines started marinating, although I knew by the third grade that I wanted to be a writer. (Cut to me writing sappy poems and love stories in the park when I was 9!) In college, I jumped around the communication school from advertising, to journalism, to radio-television-film (which I ultimately graduated with a Bachelor of Science), as I wasn’t sure if I would do copywriting, magazine writing or writing for television.

HC: But changing areas of study like that surely builds an appreciation for those studies. How did you get your start?
KL: I had many internships during college, copywriting at a few dotcoms (one through which I met my husband), doing a little bit of everything at a film production company and working at an ad agency. I also wrote entertainment reviews for the Daily Texan, the college newspaper of the University of Texas at Austin. After I graduated, I got a job in Texas as a freelance lifestyle and entertainment writer for AOL. That was great for a while, but my desire to live in either in New York or LA was really tugging at me. Luckily, my editor at the time was based in LA, so I asked if they had any openings there. They said “Come on out and we’ll talk,” so, along with a friend, we packed up my car and road tripped from Texas to Los Angeles. I met with the higher ups at AOL and landed a job as an entertainment editor. One month later, I packed up my car again – this time to the hilt – and moved to Beverly Hills.

HC: What has been the highlight of your career so far?
KL: One of the most unforgettable moments was being asked to appear on The Martha Stewart Show to host a Fashion Fixes segment with Martha herself. I explained to her the wonders of Booty Pop (kind of like a padded bra for your backside). Talk about a moment I’ll never forget! I really admire the brand and company that she has built and would like to follow a similar path, so meeting her was a definite highlight. With that said, the best part of my job is all of the connections and friendships that I have made. Blogging is really a great community, and I feel so grateful to have met and befriend the people that I have.

[pagebreak]

HC: You’re our modern-day Audrey Hepburn. Is she your fashion icon as well?
KL: Why, thank you! That’s only the biggest compliment ever, as she is without a doubt my fashion icon. More than just a fashion icon, though, I admire her charm, spirit and generosity.

HC: Which item in your wardrobe makes you feel the most confident? Why?
KL: Heels! I’m only 5’4” on a good day, so heels really make a difference. I stand taller both literally and figuratively – and, let’s face it, they make legs look ten times better.

HC: That is so true. I always say that wearing heels is the equivalent of giving your legs a facelift! Now that we’re on the topic of fashion, what’s your favorite trend this spring? Has anything about the upcoming looks surprised you?
KL: I’m obsessed with polka dots and color, especially emerald green, the Pantone color of the year for 2013, but I’m really looking forward to trying printed short suits and florals. I am surprised by – and by surprised by I mean deathly afraid of – the return of Bermuda shorts.

HC: What is your personal style motto that always holds true?
KL: Happy girls are the prettiest girls. Audrey knew what she was talking about.

HC: Do you have any advice for Her Campus collegiettes?
KL: Dream big, and then go for it. Be persistent. It eventually pays off. Be kind and generous. There’s enough room for everyone to be successful. Remember that you are your best competition. Work hard, because it doesn’t go unnoticed. Say yes. I’ve rarely regretted the things I’ve done, only the things I didn’t do. And intern, intern, intern. Finally, ask for forgiveness, not permission. If you want something, make it happen. I started Kelly Golightly because I wanted to write about what wanted to write about and was tired of being told “no” by editors. You’re in a very lucky time in that the world is literally at your fingertips (with blogs, YouTube, etc.). If you want to create your own media empire, you can! And really, why shouldn’t you?

Kelly’s wisdom resonates on a personal level with all stylish collegiettes. To catch a glimpse of her life and keep in touch, check out KellyGolightly.com.

Ashley Young, a native of Hurricane, W.Va., is more than just your typical college senior. She spent last summer interning with Thomas Nelson Publishers, the world's largest Christian publishing company (also America's sixth largest), and she's currently a features intern at Seventeen Magazine in NYC. She even lives in Manhattan! Ashley's also an oil painter, a lover of laughter, and she's engaged. Readers can gladly keep up with her day-to-day happenings by following @AshleyIsYoung on Twitter and Instagram.