To the Seniors Who Are Not Going to Grad School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

It may seem like only yesterday that you were sitting down with your parents considering whether or not to go to college. Now, you see that time really does fly and you are senior in college. Now time for another big decision: Whether or not you will be going to Grad School.

Needless to say, it’s a big decision and the topic is on everyone’s minds.

However, sometimes you may find you are the odd man (or woman) out and you chose to not attend Grad School; at least not directly following college. This was and still is my experience. Due to many factors, I have chosen not to immediately go to Grad School. I was confident about my decision, until all of my friends and other students that I work with closely all made it known that they would be attending Grad School.

Now this is wonderful and I am happy that they made the right choice for their career, but in my case, I found myself surrounded by nonstop talk of applications, auditions, and Grad School flaunting. Being surrounded by all of this made me feel like I was doing something wrong or that people would think less of me because of my decision.

Now going to Grad School certainly has its pros and cons, but for the purpose of this article, here are some thoughts for those currently wading through the process of planning the future of their education.

If you are not going to Grad School, consider this:

1. You did not make the wrong choice, you simply made a choice for your future and how you want to plan it.
  2. This does not make you uneducated or stupid. No one has the right to judge you for your choice.
  3. You will not have to worry about the financial aspect of more schooling and have the opportunity to gain work experience in the work force.
  4. Remember that not all jobs require a Masters.
  5. You can always go back to Grad School later on when you have a more focused area of study and job experience to back it up. There’s no rush.

If you are going to Grad School, consider this:

1. You are also simply making a choice for your future. Don’t look down on someone who choose a different path than you.
  2. Remember that a number of factors go into making the decision to continue on to Grad School. Don’t make assumptions about someone else’s decision.
  3. While I understand the applications, interviews and auditions are on your mind, try not to let your venting come across as bragging. Most never do it intentionally, but give others the opportunity to be happy for you without making them feel down on themselves.

So whether or not you are going to Grad School, I wish you all the best for your future!

Here’s to You, Ladies!

Image Sources:

https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/news/5-books-every-swimmer-should-…

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20140726155346-46951391-success-it-s-got-enemies-you-can-be-successful-and-have-enemies-or-you-can-be-unsuccessful-and-have-friends

I am adopted from Russia and was raised in West Virginia. I am a double major in English (Writing Concentration) and Musical Theatre. I love art in many different forms be it writing, singing, acting, drawing/painting, or design. I adore fashion and it has helped me become the person that I want to be in life. I am a very open person and love talking to people, so feel free to ask me anything! I am honored to be a part of the Her Campus team and I hope that my writing will bring you a smile. If I'm not in the theater or typing up my version of the great American fashion column, you can always hear me coming from the click of my heels. My advice to all: Stay classy!
My name is Gabriella Sayger, but everyone calls me Gabby! I am a sophomore majoring in English and still deciding on minors! I am destined for law school! I play golf, my favorite book is "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen, and I love Sushi! I'm hoping for an amazing year! Go Bobcats!