Pins: The Latest Fashion Accessory

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

When we think of pins, it’s easy to think that they are only for the older generations, but nothing could be further from the truth. Pins are coming back as the trendy new fashion accessory to add to your wardrobe.

Nowadays, pins are not limited to fancy jeweled broaches. Pins come in different colors, shapes and sizes. Many of them display a message or a show of support for an organization or a type of entertainment.

The best thing about pins is that they are a simple, easy to add accessory. A casual pin can be worn basically anywhere you like. Most dressy or formal achievement pins are worn on a tie or a jacket lapel, but casual pins can be worn on your shirt, jacket, hat or even on scarves or buttons. And if you prefer not to prick your clothes, no problem! Pins can be placed on bags, wallets, or purses so you can still show them off!

There is also another pin appearing on clothing today: the safety pin. According to the New York Times, people across America are wearing safety pins as a show of support to those in need and to those who are vulnerable or experiencing abuse—especially after the recent presidential election.

People who wear the pin are not necessarily in opposition to the president-elect. Rather, the pin is a display of pro-kindness and resistance to hate and negativity. Wearing the safety pin is a way to say to all around you: “You are safe with me.”

So are you ready to give pins a try? Now you can wear your personality on your sleeve—or anywhere you put your pin, for that matter.

Stay classy, ladies!

I am adopted from Russia and was raised in West Virginia. I am a double major in English (Writing Concentration) and Musical Theatre. I love art in many different forms be it writing, singing, acting, drawing/painting, or design. I adore fashion and it has helped me become the person that I want to be in life. I am a very open person and love talking to people, so feel free to ask me anything! I am honored to be a part of the Her Campus team and I hope that my writing will bring you a smile. If I'm not in the theater or typing up my version of the great American fashion column, you can always hear me coming from the click of my heels. My advice to all: Stay classy!
Maty recently graduated Summa Cum Laude from West Virginia Wesleyan College (WVWC), and she couldn’t be more excited to return to the Her Campus family as a member of the Community Team.  Maty’s passion for writing has guided her through most of her adult life, and it eventually brought her to to the Her Campus Chapter Network as a Style Blogger for Her Campus WVWC. Maty would go on to become Campus Correspondent of her chapter, as well as an intern for Her Campus National and a Chapter Advisor.  Through her different roles at HC, Maty quickly fell in love with the mission and purpose of the Her Campus Chapter Network—and in her new role, Maty has the rare and coveted opportunity to do what she loves on a daily basis by working with a growing network of 360+ college chapters.    When Maty isn’t at the office, she’s usually out exploring, cooking some random recipe she found on Pinterest, or cuddling with her adorable corgi, Winnie.  Follow Maty on Twitter and Instagram !