Parris Freeman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

Spring semester has approached and I am pleased to present our first campus celebrity of 2016, Parris Freeman! This young lady is 19 years of age and is able to juggle being a full-time student here at West Virginia Wesleyan College along with other extra curricular activities. It was such a pleasure to interview her due to her pleasant and down-to-earth attitude. Parris resembles what most students should emulate: a focused, mature and productive student who is goal-orientated. 

Q: Tell us about yourself, just some general information.

A: I’m originally from Maryland, I play the saxophone in my spare time, and I’m also the training director for C-92 FM.

Q: When you’re not buried in your books, what are you doing?

A: I’m a part-time employee at McDonald’s and I’m also a sister of Alpha Gamma Delta. I’ve been with them since the fall. I dedicate most of my time to my studies though; school definitely comes first! School, AGD, radio and work are my top priorities as of now.

Q: You’re really productive on campus for a sophomore! 

A: I stay productive on campus because I like it and it’s for my benefit. I don’t do the things I do now to build my resume, but because I like it. I’m a media studies major, and I look forward to graduating with a bachelor’s degree in media studies. With my degree I plan on becoming a new reporter and I’d like to stay in West Virginia while I pursue my dreams. 

Q: Black History Month is days away. Do you have any plans?

A: I know the BSU (Black Student Union) has done things to recognize the black culture on campus as a whole. I think it would be fun for my friends in the theatre department and I to put on “Play-In-A-Day” and incorporate facts about black culture and just bring awareness.

Q: Do you feel like you’re able to balance all your responsibilities while maintaining a social life?

A: I can balance it because I need to stay busy. Sometimes it can be overwhelming, but I seem to be able to manage. I love my friends. With any activity I do, I have a friend. I’m able to be social and enjoy being on campus. It’s funny because most of my friends are on the same floor as me in my dorm. On the other hand, when I feel overwhelmed with work, I shut everything down. I put my phone on airplane mode, drink tea, listen to music and try to remind myself that there is a purpose to what I’m working toward.

Q: Any advice to other college students?

A: Do not procrastinate. Get a planner; it’s a great investment. Try to do your work ahead of time and do it the day it’s given. Don’t wait and don’t put it off. Last semester, I was on the verge of dropping out, but I would encourage my fellow students to think long-term. Finishing college is worth it and all the effort put into your time being in college will benefit you.

Parris now has a GPA of 3.1 and is on the road to success. Be sure to check out her C-92 radio show on Sunday at 1:50-3:50 p.m.