An Open Letter to the Girl Who Prefers to be Alone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

Dear Collegiette, 

I understand the feeling you are experiencing. The people around you, talking, laughing―it overwhelms you. You tap your foot to the beat of the clock, slowly counting down the moments until you can return to your place of solitude. Your heart races just thinking about trying to focus, trying to understand the things around you. You search for signs of comfort: a bench secluded from your peers, a quiet space in which you can reflect, a lonely path in search of a companion. You cling to those things, for they provide you with hope. A hope that gives you strength to overcome the thoughts in your mind that are working to convince you to give in, to submit to your fears. Hold on tight to that hope. Grasp it with the greatest strength that you can manage.

But collegiette, it is not enough to hold that hope for a short period of time. It must be maintained in a safe and healthy manner. There are multiple aspects in which you can achieve this. First, understand that it is perfectly okay to not be okay. Once you establish this, create effective ways in which to manage it. For some, walking outside and discovering a spiritual connection with nature revives that inner hope which serves as a motivator to continue. For others, reading and learning information that allows the mind to grow and flourish frees the mind of the thoughts that were previously damaging it. Find your place where you can be alone, collegiette. Utilize that space, wherever it may be, to allow your mind and spirit to connect to a place of freedom and bliss.

Remember collegiette, it is perfectly alright to enjoy being alone, away from the stress and worry that others can create. But you never have to remain alone with your thoughts. Find refuge in your sacred place, but don’t be fearful of seeking additional help. Whether it be your friends, your family or a counselor, utilize their advice and suggestions in order to create the healthiest and happiest you that you can possibly become.

Your fellow “Loner,”

Arin