An Open Letter from a Fast Food Worker

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

“Why is that lady at the first window such an ass?” Because, my lovely, entitled friend who has never had a job with the public, someone probably screamed at her because the icey machine is broken.

Yes, fast food workers are there to cater the customer and provide nice, friendly, and fast service, but how do customers expect the workers to remain positive when we constantly get put down by mean senior citizens, rude college students, and already pissed off parents and their children.

“Why is this so expensive? This would be cheaper somewhere else.” Well, Susan, no one forced you to come to this establishment, and when you order 12 cheeseburgers, 6 Whoppers and 4 different shakes to wash it all down– Yes! It’s going to be expensive! EVERYWHERE!

There are good, bad, and ugly sides to how customers treat their workers, and let me say this now– NOT all customers are mean and rude; some customers really brighten up our days, and as someone who works at a fast food restaurant, we thank those select few that are nice to the workers. We thank you and appreciate you, but this article isn’t about the good guys in this situation.

“I WILL NEVER COME BACK TO THIS PLACE EVER AGAIN!!!!” Okay, Becky, then this is the perfect opportunity for you to use that cold, empty space in your house called a kitchen. A kitchen is where people make food. On their own. With their own ingredients bought from a grocery store. Yes, you heard it right– you can make stuff on your own, and you don’t have to pay someone else to do it for you. Also, a side note, we will still get paid whether you come here or not. We feed a town with 14,000 people in it, and losing one person isn’t going to make us bankrupt, but thank you for your service.