This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

As we’ve discussed in previous blog posts, style starts from within. Style is internal, and it is most definitely a process. Our clothing and accessories do not define us; our attitudes do. The most important part of our internal style journey is learning to love every part of ourselves. And, let’s face it, this is a nearly impossible feat for anyone—especially the modern-day collegiate.

Our college-related qualms are enough to make anyone’s head spin. Sometimes, it may feel as though we’re drowning in our own stress. It seems as though there’s always something blocking our path. You may have just walked out of a curve-worthy exam when you suddenly realize that you have an eight-page term paper due the following day. You may have just finished a two-hour lacrosse practice when you realize that you have three assignments to finish once you get back to your dorm. And they’re all due TOMORROW!

On top of all that, being a woman in today’s society is difficult enough as it is, but it’s especially taxing for our age group. Between the rise of rape culture and finding endless “thinspiration” hastags on our Twitter feed, it is safe to say that we’re growing up in an extremely dysfunctional world. Glossy magazines, advertisements, social media websites, and other media outlets are constantly telling us what to wear, what to eat (or rather, what not to eat), and how to think. It’s only a matter of time before we start nitpicking everything that’s “wrong” with our external appearance. Faults just start appearing out of the blue: “Oh, look, a new stomach roll.” “My teeth need to be whiter.” “My face is covered in zits.” “I wish I had a thigh gap.” “Why can’t I look like her?” 

It only takes a short amount of time before these thoughts take on a new life. They consume our minds and grow increasingly detrimental to our wellbeing. This impossible quest for perfection can have grave consequences. According to Westminster College, “three to ten percent of females ages 15 to 29 could be considered anorexic or bulimic.”

Call me crazy, but there is nothing “beautiful” or “stylish” about self-destruction. What is beautiful and stylish is self-acceptance and learning to embrace every single part of yourself—even the parts you don’t like. As I said before, it’s not an easy process. In fact, it can even be a bit daunting. So, here are some tips that will hopefully help you along your journey. I call it the Love Your Style, Love Yourself challenge, and I encourage every person reading this to give it a shot!

Day 1: Start the day out on a high note by looking in the mirror and finding one feature that you love about yourself. Continue this practice every day, adding a new quality each time until you’ve found the good in virtually all parts of yourself.

Day 2: Take time to breathe. When you feel yourself getting stressed out, stop everything that you’re doing, shut your eyes, and take a deep, cleansing breath.

Day 3: Wear something that makes you feel confident. Put on a cute dress, jeans, or whatever you feel most comfortable in and blow everyone away with your newfound confidence!

Day 4: Think positive thoughts. Any time you feel the slightest twinge of sadness, think of something that makes you happy, and smile. The bigger, the better! Nothing can get you down if you have a smile on your face!

Day 5: Do something out of the ordinary. It can be something as simple as taking a different route to class or asking out that cutie in your 10 a.m. lecture class. Feel free to be as zany as you want! That’s the beauty of this exercise.

Day 6: Pay someone a compliment. It can be a close friend, classmate, or someone who’s just in need of a little boost. In this case, giving encouraging words to others feels just as great as receiving them yourself. Just a few positive words have the ability to change someone’s life.

Day 7: Go on a walk. Take this opportunity to enjoy some fresh fall air and relieve some stress.

Day 8: Treat yourself! Go to DQ and grab a Blizzard, load up on desserts in the cafeteria, or go to BDubs and binge on wings. Eat something that sounds good to you—and don’t worry about the calories. Realize that it’s perfectly normal and healthy to eat comfort foods when you need them!

Day 9: Get away from it all. Take an opportunity to go on a drive or a walk. Just do something to get yourself out of that dorm room and into the outside world.

Day 10: Look at all of the people on campus and realize that no two are exactly alike. People come in all shapes and sizes with varied attitudes and personalities. Realize that everyone is different, and be grateful for this fact. We don’t live in a one-size-fits-all society. We are unique; we are individuals. You are an individual.

Day 11: Celebrate your individuality. Wear something that exhibits your personality. Contribute to a class discussion. Write a poem, sing, dance, etc. Just do something that shows off what an amazingly talented person you truly are!

Day 12: Meditate. Take time out of your busy schedule to achieve a sense of tranquility through a meditative activity, such as yoga.

Day 13: Embrace your inner child. Do something that brought you joy when you were younger, such as coloring, flying a kite, building a pillow fort, or even binge-watching old Disney movies. Do something that you remember bringing a smile to your face. Chances are, it will happen again.

Day 14: Take an evening to spend some quality time with your friends. Take a mini road trip, have a girls’ night out, or just hang out in one of your dorms with microwave popcorn and an abundance of LOL-worthy comedies.          

Day 15: Pamper yourself. Deep condition your hair, mix up one of those DIY facial masks you found on Pinterest, give yourself a much needed mani-pedi and relax.

Day 16: Go to bed early. Nothing feels better than a good night’s sleep, so make arrangements to hit the hay a couple of hours earlier than you normally do. It’s the perfect opportunity to recharge both physically and mentally!

Day 17: Talk to a close friend that you know you can rely on. Have a heart-to-heart, if need be. Tell this person all that’s been going on in your life, all of your fears and doubts. Get something off your chest that’s been bothering you, and extend that same offer to your friend.

Day 18: They say that laughter is the best medicine. Whenever you’re feeling down, find something that you know will make you laugh, whether it’s a goofy friend doing impressions of celebrities or watching a series of “Epic Fails” on YouTube.

Day 19: Only one day left! Make a list of all the qualities you’ve come to love about yourself and place the list somewhere in your room where it’s in clear view. Then it will be impossible for you to forget just how truly amazing you are!

Day 20: Make peace with yourself. Let go of bad habits, negative thoughts, and unpleasant memories. Realize that, in this moment, you are the best version of yourself that you could possibly be—and you will become greater and greater with each passing day. Know that you are beautiful inside and out. You are one of a kind. You determine your own path and make your own decisions. You are free from labels and conventions. Don’t ever let anyone or anything hold you back or discourage you. You are stylish, you are fierce, and you are you—and that is truly a wonderful thing.          

Maty recently graduated Summa Cum Laude from West Virginia Wesleyan College (WVWC), and she couldn’t be more excited to return to the Her Campus family as a member of the Community Team.  Maty’s passion for writing has guided her through most of her adult life, and it eventually brought her to to the Her Campus Chapter Network as a Style Blogger for Her Campus WVWC. Maty would go on to become Campus Correspondent of her chapter, as well as an intern for Her Campus National and a Chapter Advisor.  Through her different roles at HC, Maty quickly fell in love with the mission and purpose of the Her Campus Chapter Network—and in her new role, Maty has the rare and coveted opportunity to do what she loves on a daily basis by working with a growing network of 360+ college chapters.    When Maty isn’t at the office, she’s usually out exploring, cooking some random recipe she found on Pinterest, or cuddling with her adorable corgi, Winnie.  Follow Maty on Twitter and Instagram !
West Virginia Wesleyan College, English Writing and Communications major.