Mother’s Day on a Budget!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

Moms. They’ve been there from the beginning. They dressed us up in outfits we hated, eat vegetables and other “healthy” foods we couldn’t stomach, and made us go to bed at 9 p.m. sharp—no if’s, and’s or but’s about it. Despite our initial petulance, we always knew it was for our own good.

As we grew older, our moms became our best friends. They became someone we could confide in and laugh with—all the while helping us deal with the numerous challenges of growing up. For most of us, our mothers made us the person we are today.

As a result, it’s our automatic inclination to get our mothers something spectacular for Mother’s Day. After enduring all of the kissed “boo-boo’s,” weekday morning battles, and, as of late, the frazzled late night college phone calls, our moms deserve something just as wonderful as they are. But, unfortunately, that’s the thing about being a collegiette: most of us are close or near to being flat broke.

Despair not, dear reader! Mother’s Day may be just around the corner, but you can make your mom’s special day even more special by sticking to a budget. Just follow these frugal tips, and you’re sure to be the best daughter ever—even though you probably already were in your mom’s eyes.

1. Make Arrangements. Estimated Cost: $10-$30

Flowers. Moms love flowers. If you only have a small amount of cash to spend, this is the perfect solution for you! You can buy a bouquet of flowers from Walmart for as little as $10, or you can visit your local greenhouse and buy a potted plant if your mom is more the gardening type (these will typically cost anywhere from $15-$30 depending on the quantity and type). Flowers will brighten up your living space and remind your mother of how thoughtful her daughter is. Yay brownie points!

2. Girl’s Day. Estimated Cost: $0-$30

Nothing says “I love you” more than quality time. So, instead of using the played-out breakfast in bed card, take your mom out for a day on the town this Mother’s Day. Do some window-shopping at local boutiques, get matching mani-pedis, go see a movie, treat yourselves to some fro-yo, or have a picnic at a local park. The options are endless! Just make sure that the activities you choose are going to be enjoyable for both you and your mom. If you do choose to do something that costs money, offer to pay (of course)—but only pick one activity. You can spend the rest of your day doing cost-efficient activities, such as going on a hike or opting to do mani-pedi’s at home. Just remember, your mom will value the time you spend together more than anything else.

3. (un)Hired Help. Estimated Cost: $0

Nothing is better than putting up your feet after a long day, flipping on the TV and relaxing. Unfortunately, our moms seldom have this opportunity between their job, cooking, cleaning, and other obligations. So, why not offer to alleviate some of that stress? Print off coupons for different household chores, such as cleaning the house, cooking dinner, doing laundry, carpooling younger siblings, etc. These coupons could say something along the lines of, “One Free Housecleaning,” or “3 Free Weeks of Laundry.” Your mom will appreciate your willingness to help—almost as she’ll enjoy her upcoming days of relaxation.

Maty recently graduated Summa Cum Laude from West Virginia Wesleyan College (WVWC), and she couldn’t be more excited to return to the Her Campus family as a member of the Community Team.  Maty’s passion for writing has guided her through most of her adult life, and it eventually brought her to to the Her Campus Chapter Network as a Style Blogger for Her Campus WVWC. Maty would go on to become Campus Correspondent of her chapter, as well as an intern for Her Campus National and a Chapter Advisor.  Through her different roles at HC, Maty quickly fell in love with the mission and purpose of the Her Campus Chapter Network—and in her new role, Maty has the rare and coveted opportunity to do what she loves on a daily basis by working with a growing network of 360+ college chapters.    When Maty isn’t at the office, she’s usually out exploring, cooking some random recipe she found on Pinterest, or cuddling with her adorable corgi, Winnie.  Follow Maty on Twitter and Instagram !
A public relations major with a passion for social media, the arts, and all things Disney, writer Corinne Weaver hopes to bring some Her Campus flare to WVWC. Weaver performs with the WVWC Theatre and Dance department, is a sister of Alpha Delta Pi, and interned at the National Aquarium in the Summer of '14! This Co-Editor-In-Chief will always love her close-knit hometown of Oakland, Maryland, but looks forward to opportunities to branch out in the future. Follow her @CorinneWeaver4 on Twitter and Instagram!