Kristi Wilkerson, Homecoming Coordinator

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

Kristi Wilkerson is a 1999 graduate of Wesleyan with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Public Relations and a minor in Christian Education. She is currently teaching Communication courses and is Wesleyan’s Director of Alumni Relations.

Wilkerson went to the University of Miami to earn her Master degree in Speech Communication in 2001, and began dating her good friend Curtis, who also graduated from Wesleyan in 1999. They married in 2003 and now have a seven-year-old daughter named Rebekah.

Kristi has graciously stepped in this semester to teach classes in the Communication Department along with her full time job in the Erikson Alumni Center. She said she loves having daily interaction with the students.

“I can only hope to have half the impact that my professors had on me on my own students – my professors continue to be my mentors and close friends today,” said Wilkerson.

As if she isn’t busy enough teaching classes for the second time at Wesleyan and spending cherished time with her family, Kristi Wilkerson also has several other commitments.

Wilkerson is the Commencement Coordinator, the editor of our Sundial alumni magazine, and is planning homecoming. Homecoming planning is a year-long process, so as we enjoy this year’s events, Kristi and her co-workers in the alumni office are already busy planning next year’s events.

“Homecoming offers something for everyone,” said Wilkerson.

Some of the events this year include, the tailgate picnic, the reception with alumni, faculty and staff in the library, and reunions for the Classes of 1944, 49, 54, 59, 64, 69, 74, 79, 84, 89, 94, 99, 2004, and 2009. There are athletic games, Bobcat Entertainment activities (Roller Rink, Tie-Dye T-Shirts, and Celebration Station – like Chuck E Cheese), Founders Day Convocation where we honor wonderful alumni and friends of the College with Honorary Degrees and Alumni Awards, the Athletic Hall of Fame, and a Chapel Service with an alumni guest speaker.

March Madness is also going to be incorporated this year, along with the kickoff of a year-long celebration of Wesleyan’s 125th Year.

Although plenty of events, activities, and ceremonies will be held this week for homecoming, Kristi explained that the best part of homecoming occurs when classmates reunite after not seeing each other for many years.

“There are screams, yelling, laughter and sometimes tears – and these connections often occur at times when no organized event is taking place,” said Wilkerson. “The joy and excitement that is shown at these moments by our alumni are just precious times – and that’s what Homecoming is all about.”

If you see Kristi, or any of the individuals who make the celebration of our school and its rich history possible, stop and thank them for all that they do, and make sure you experience at least one event at this year’s homecoming. These are the days which we are making memories to enjoy at our own homecomings as future alumni. 

A public relations major with a passion for social media, the arts, and all things Disney, writer Corinne Weaver hopes to bring some Her Campus flare to WVWC. Weaver performs with the WVWC Theatre and Dance department, is a sister of Alpha Delta Pi, and interned at the National Aquarium in the Summer of '14! This Co-Editor-In-Chief will always love her close-knit hometown of Oakland, Maryland, but looks forward to opportunities to branch out in the future. Follow her @CorinneWeaver4 on Twitter and Instagram!