An Interview with Contortionist and Comedian Jonathan Burns

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

Comedian, magician, contortionist, and all around amazing entertainer Jonathan Burns recently performed at “Food and Friday Funny” sponsored by Bobcat Entertainment. The audience was moved to fits of laughter by his comedy and odd talents.

Jonathan has perfomed on The Jay Leno show and the Late Show with David Letterman, as well as toured 37 states and 7 countries!

HC WVWC writer Samantha Norris scored an interview with Jonathan after the show: check it out! 

SN: When did you first discover you could twist your body in such weird ways?

Jonathan: I’ve always been bendy ever since I was a little kid, like in gym class I would always bend a little bit further. I’ve always had that ability. I was just born that way.

And then, when I was about twelve I went to a magic shop, and that’s where the magic comes in.

So I started with a magic show, and later, when I was in college, the bendy stuff came back.  So now my show is a lot of contortion tricks, but I still do magic too.

It’s like a variety show with a bunch of other things, but contortion is definitely the highlight.

SN: How much do you practice magic? What about your contortion tricks? 

Jonathan: I’ve been doing both a long time so I’ve been practicing, you know, forever.

I’m 32 now so I’ve been doing it 20 years, so a lot of the practice is just over the years.

Right now most of my focus is on jokes.

I try to practice all of the elements every day, but improvement really comes from working a lot and continuing to develop the show.  

SN: Have you ever had an accident during the show?

Jonathan: *laughs*

No, no.

Have I been stuck in anything, ‘cause I try to squeeze through some small things?

I never have on stage, but……

I was trying a trick one time where I was fitting my body through a toilet seat and trying to take my underwear off at the same time, and I got caught in the seat and underwear, alone in my house.

I was just wandering around my house trying to figure out how to get out and I had to eventually cut the underwear off because I was stuck.

So luckily no one saw that but me, but that’s just a funny story.

Very cool, right?! To catch more of Jonathan Burns, check out his website www.flexiblecomedy.com! 

Have pictures or reactions from the show? Tweet us @HerCampusWVWC! 

A public relations major with a passion for social media, the arts, and all things Disney, writer Corinne Weaver hopes to bring some Her Campus flare to WVWC. Weaver performs with the WVWC Theatre and Dance department, is a sister of Alpha Delta Pi, and interned at the National Aquarium in the Summer of '14! This Co-Editor-In-Chief will always love her close-knit hometown of Oakland, Maryland, but looks forward to opportunities to branch out in the future. Follow her @CorinneWeaver4 on Twitter and Instagram!