As I Say Goodbye to Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

I still remember the day I left home for the very first time. I drove alone two hours away to my new home-away-from-home. I cried before I left, I cried the entire drive, and I cried as I unloaded my entire life crammed into a few totes and duffle bags. My eyes were raw and my heart was sinking. I remember how terribly afraid I was of this incredible transition in my life. I was fearful of failure, making mistakes, and disappointing my parents. I was unsure of how I would create friendships with perfect strangers. I remember being so intimidated by everything around me. All I wanted was to say goodbye to the fear, to the change, and to simply return home to my place of forever comfort. But if I had followed through with that decision, I would have undoubtedly made the biggest mistake of my life.

As the months went on, I began to find numerous reasons that solidified my choice to become a student as WVWC. I met my best friend that will someday be a bridesmaid in my wedding. I discovered an incredible support system that carries me through my successes and my defeats with the same amount of love. I had the opportunity to broaden my horizons and expand my personal perspectives. I found a major that suits my passions and goals. I had the pleasure of doing service work that allowed me to utilize and expand my ever-evolving leadership skills. But most of all, I was provided with a place in which I could grow and improve in all aspects of my life, and for that, I will be eternally grateful.

Unfortunately, the time has come to say goodbye to freshman year. It has been an incredible time of growth, exploration, and self-discovery. I have learned more about myself in the past nine months of my life than I have in nineteen years. Thank you for allowing me to step out of my comfort zone, overcome my fears, and providing me with the greatest blessings that have surpassed all of my wildest dreams! I can only hope that the next three years of my time here at Wesleyan are also as memorable.

Bring on Sophomore Year!

Yours Truly,

Arin