Ethan Butler ’14: Layout Editor for the Vandalia and the Pharos

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

Ethan Butler is a senior double majoring in Communication Studies and Art with a concentration in Photography. He is a Community Service Scholar and President of the Student Art League. He has served as the photographer and layout editor for both the Vandalia arts journal and the Pharos newspaper, and is a member of the Alpha Lambda Delta honor society and the Lambda Pi Eta communication honor society. Butler also helps with design, photography, videography, and art on campus whenever possible.

“Basically, I love creating things, and I’m unable to rest until I’ve brought to life all the ideas floating around in my head,” said Butler.

Recently, Butler has created and is now showing an exhibition called, Welcome to the Other Side in the Sleeth Gallery on campus. The exhibition displays nine comic book characters that Butler has created and given individual personalities, motives, and styles for viewers to interpret visually. These characters are part of Butler’s comic project called, The Other Side

The Other Side is an ongoing project that was born through my passion for telling stories through photos,” said Butler. “My ultimate goal is to combine imagery and stories in what I feel is potentially the most suitable format for my concepts: comic books.”

After graduating, Butler plans to stay in Buckhannon for a while and work at the ¾ Café as he builds clients to eventually open his own visual marketing business. He is also getting married in July.

West Virginia Wesleyan College, English Writing and Communications major.