This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

Your second semester can have you feeling like you’re drowning in deadlines, due dates, homework assignments, projects and trying to maintaining a social life at the same time. David McLaurin, a freshman here at Wesleyan, can completely relate to this issue. David is a student athlete and an engineering major who is working toward a 3.5 GPA. He admittedly has struggled with being overwhelmed with school work and catching up with assignments after getting his ACL torn. 

Q: What are your goals for this semester?

A: Getting a 3.5. I just need to maintain good grades. I’d also like to build a relationship with my advisors and teachers. The staff is really nice here, so it’s easy to build a relationship with them.

Q: What steps have you taken to work toward achieving a 3.5?

A: Putting time and effort into my school semester.

Q: Compare yourself to what you were like in the beginning of the semester to now.

A: Before, I would party throughout the week—but now, I save it for the weekends. I realized that I needed to study more, and now I’ve gained better studying habits as a result. I’d like think of myself as a studious individual.

Q: Any advice to those who are struggling now?

A: Avoid procrastination. Have a set schedule for when you’re going do your work, and study.

Q: Do you think the outcome of your first semester was a wake-up call?

A: I’d say yes, even though the outcome was due to other outstanding circumstances. It made me realize that it’s easier to fall behind with school work in college than in high school. There’s nobody holding your hand to go through the process; you’ve got to get your work done on your own.  

Q: Would you say that you’re stressed?

A: No. I’m able to cope with things. I don’t let a lot of things stress me out. Music relaxes me. I listen to a lot of R&B, rap and bluegrass. Video games are also my go-to when I’m feeling stressed. I take breaks from my homework and/or projects to relieve my stress.

Q: Are you able to balance your social life and school work?

A: Yes. I follow my schedule and save my social life for the weekends.

Q: What do you hope to achieve by the end of your freshman year?

A: Increasing my GPA, improving my physical health, and strengthening friendships that I already have.

Be sure to check out David next fall as the Wesleyan Bobcats football team begins its new season!

Maty recently graduated Summa Cum Laude from West Virginia Wesleyan College (WVWC), and she couldn’t be more excited to return to the Her Campus family as a member of the Community Team.  Maty’s passion for writing has guided her through most of her adult life, and it eventually brought her to to the Her Campus Chapter Network as a Style Blogger for Her Campus WVWC. Maty would go on to become Campus Correspondent of her chapter, as well as an intern for Her Campus National and a Chapter Advisor.  Through her different roles at HC, Maty quickly fell in love with the mission and purpose of the Her Campus Chapter Network—and in her new role, Maty has the rare and coveted opportunity to do what she loves on a daily basis by working with a growing network of 360+ college chapters.    When Maty isn’t at the office, she’s usually out exploring, cooking some random recipe she found on Pinterest, or cuddling with her adorable corgi, Winnie.  Follow Maty on Twitter and Instagram !