Citizens of the World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

With recent terror attacks by ISIS throughout the world (most notably in Paris and Beirut), people around the world are understandably scared. The result of this fear, however, is an ignited wave of Islamophobia.

This result is exactly what terrorists aim for.The goal of terrorists is to use fear to spread their ideology and political goals. When we as a people attempt to ban certain groups of people because of fear, this is what terrorists want. The same trend can be seen throughout history with other terrorist groups. The KKK and Black Panther Party used violence and fear to keep specific groups separated during the early to mid 1900s.

Groups such as these don’t represent the much larger religious or racial majority. Just as Americans do not want be judged as a whole for extremists like Dylan Storm Roof or Adam Lanza, it is not fair to judge people of the Islamic faith for the actions of an extremist group like ISIS. It is especially important to remember that our nation was founded on the idea of all men being created equally, and that throughout our history we have been working toward a goal in which that ideal is completely realized. By using fear and Islamophobia to turn away refugees completely, we are not getting closer to completing that ideal, but moving further away.

Finally, people’s religious affiliation, skin color or country of origin should not matter. What should matter is that they are humans in peril, and that it is possible for us to help. While we all have our own individual alliance to our religion or country, we all live in this one world, and as such are people who should care about the millions of refugees forced out of their country because of terrorists.

We are all equal citizens in this world.

I am a sophomore Political Science student at West Virginia Wesleyan College. I love writing about the human experience in college and giving advice.
Maty recently graduated Summa Cum Laude from West Virginia Wesleyan College (WVWC), and she couldn’t be more excited to return to the Her Campus family as a member of the Community Team.  Maty’s passion for writing has guided her through most of her adult life, and it eventually brought her to to the Her Campus Chapter Network as a Style Blogger for Her Campus WVWC. Maty would go on to become Campus Correspondent of her chapter, as well as an intern for Her Campus National and a Chapter Advisor.  Through her different roles at HC, Maty quickly fell in love with the mission and purpose of the Her Campus Chapter Network—and in her new role, Maty has the rare and coveted opportunity to do what she loves on a daily basis by working with a growing network of 360+ college chapters.    When Maty isn’t at the office, she’s usually out exploring, cooking some random recipe she found on Pinterest, or cuddling with her adorable corgi, Winnie.  Follow Maty on Twitter and Instagram !