The 15 Best Things About WV Wesleyan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

It has come to the point in the school year where everyone starts to reminisce about the great and awful things that have happened over the past two semesters.

My fellow seniors and I have started reminiscing about the many things we’ve encountered over the past four years. We’re starting to get pretty nostalgic and you’ll overhear us saying things like, “Remember that one time freshman year…”.

Since our time at Wesleyan is coming to an end in just a few short weeks, soon our nostalgia will probably turn to tears. And if anyone is like me, they don’t want this chapter in their life book to end.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m ready to be finished cramming for tests and sitting through classes that I care nothing about, but my four years at Wesleyan have been the best four years of my life. I’m just not ready to let go of this place that I’ve come to love and hold so dear.

Since I spend more time than I’d like to admit reading lists on Buzzfeed and TSM, I thought I’d compile a list about Wesleyan.

*drum roll, please*

So, I present to you: “The 15 Best Things About Wesleyan”.

*In no particular order – they’re all equally great!*

1. Location

Okay, before you look at your phone in disgust and wonder if I’ve lost my mind, hear me out. Buckhannon is a cute little town, even if you don’t want to admit it. It’s even been voted one of the best small towns in the country. It may not be the most entertaining place ever, but trust me, it could always be worse (cough, cough, Glenville).

2. Bobcat Entertainment

Since Wesleyan is nestled in the mountains and not that close to any major towns, it’s great to have Bobcat Entertainment to host different events on the weekends. Whether its Big Bingo with most of the campus or my personal favorite, Casino Night, you can bet that you’re going to have a great time with your classmates at a BE event.   

Check out Bubble Soccer this weekend! 

3. Relationships

As a senior, it is impossible to think about those special people who started out as friends and over the years have become family. There’s always that one person who always be there to pull an all-nighter with you the night before a final, a person to run to Sheetz with you at random hours of the night, or a person who’s always there with a warm hug or a shoulder to cry on when you’ve had a bad day. Without these people, college just wouldn’t be as fun.

*Jessicah (Right) on a road-trip with friends!*

4. Size– Let’s be real, size does matter. Wesleyan has just over 1500 students so saying that you know everyone that goes here really isn’t an exaggeration. There is a stronger sense of community here then you would find at a much bigger school. Another great thing about a small school is we don’t just become a number in a classroom. When your largest class might have 30 people in it, you can easily get more personalized help from a professor.

5. The AMP Library and the Staff– Whether you need a DVD to rent on a Friday night or help with your term paper, the lovely staff at the Annie Merner Pfeiffer Library is always there to lend a helping hand. They have a wealth of knowledge when it comes to helping you with any topic you could think of (trust me, I’ve come up with some crazy ones). We’re pretty #blessed to have such a great library on our campus. There are hundreds of thousands of titles for you to use and many different databases for all of your research needs. One day when you’re just bored and trying to entertain yourself…I suggest the database called Mango Languages because it will help you learn to speak Pirate. Arrrr!

6. Chapel Oval– Once upon a time, the chapel oval wasn’t grassy and cozy like it is now. It was actually parking spots. (I know, I know, we needed those spots.) But, at least now we have a nice cozy spot to sit in the sun on a nice day. Sitting on a blanket in the oval when it is warm outside is a great way to get some homework done and enjoy the day. It’s better than being cooped up in the library. It’s also a great place to play some sports!

7. The CCE– The Center for Community Engagement is a wonderful asset to our campus. It’s great to give back to the community and the CCE does a wonderful job of making us aware of important issues, like poverty and slavery.  There are many different ways that you can get involve with a WeLead group.

8. The Wellness Center– The newly renovated Wellness Center is a great place to go to get in shape or just de-stress a little. They offer many different group exercises which are always fun.  It’s a great atmosphere to be in and hang out with some of your friends outside of the classroom.

9.  The Theater Department– The Theater Department at Wesleyan has so much talent and it really shows every semester during the plays our fellow classmates preform in.  The plays are always entertaining and it’s a great way to take a break from classes and homework with your friends, and it’s only a few dollars to watch them!

10. The Chapel Bells– When the seniors came to Wesleyan, the chapel bells still worked. The real chapel bells. Not the automated system that we have now. Every single day, like clockwork (ha, get it?) the bells would ring throughout campus. It was great to walk to lunch at noon and hear a song coming from Wesley Chapel. It was an instant mood booster, unlike the clock in the library that has recently been fixed.

11.  Cat’s Claw Smoothies– I’m sure we can all agree that the food at Wesleyan isn’t always the best. Thankfully, there’s always the Cat’s Claw. Well, I use the term “always” lightly, because they have really inconvenient hours. Unfortunately, it took me until my second semester to realize that the Cat’s Claw has smoothies. They have a wide variety of flavors and if you’re extra nice to the ladies taking orders then you can even get them to mix and match different flavors so you can make your own concoction. (I suggest cappuccino & Oreos!)

12. The River Walk– There is just something great about the river walk. It’s a great place to run off a little stress after class or just enjoy a walk with your friends on a sunny day. The swings are a great place to do a little homework or just sit and watch the ducks. You’ll always see someone you know as you take in the scenery and if you’re lucky, someone will be walking their dog and you can get your puppy fix for the day.

13. Professors– Most of the professors at Wesleyan, and even some that have come and gone, are the most supportive people that I have ever met. If you’re lucky enough to have one of these Professors in your discipline then you, my friend, are lucky. When I came to college I didn’t expect to have professors that were so invested in my education and cared so much about me as an individual. I know that most of us have that one professor that has gone above and beyond for us and those relationships are irreplaceable.

*Professor Mu Hu with our fitness writer Tabby and fellow communication student Amanda. He invited his students over for a traditional chinese meal!*

14. Café Libros– It doesn’t matter if it’s the second day of syllabus week or 1 am on reading day, Café Libros is one of the best things about Wesleyan. I can’t really thing of many things that are better than baked good and coffee while I’m studying (a.k.a watching Netflix). The wonderful Library staff always makes sure that there is hot coffee and a variety of yummy snacks for us to choose from. It’s definitely a nice change from the mystery desserts in the Caf. Nothing upsets me more than thinking I’’ve picked up coconut cream pie only to realize that it’s banana. -__-

15.  Greek Life– So, I might be just a little biased but I think Greek Life is one of the greatest things about Wesleyan. The Greek community sticks together and is really one big family. If you don’t believe me then check us out at Jump. It’s one of the few times when we’re all together and get to hang out as a great big group. Definitely be sure to check us out at Spring Sing, too! No matter the letters, we’re all Greek together. 

Tell us your favorite part about Wesleyan on twitter @HerCampusWVWC!

A public relations major with a passion for social media, the arts, and all things Disney, writer Corinne Weaver hopes to bring some Her Campus flare to WVWC. Weaver performs with the WVWC Theatre and Dance department, is a sister of Alpha Delta Pi, and interned at the National Aquarium in the Summer of '14! This Co-Editor-In-Chief will always love her close-knit hometown of Oakland, Maryland, but looks forward to opportunities to branch out in the future. Follow her @CorinneWeaver4 on Twitter and Instagram!