This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

As much as you hate to admit it, every word of advice your parents have told you seemed to be true. You may not think so, but those words you once thought were crazy talk will come back to haunt you. When that happens you’ll hear your parents’ reciting the words over and over in your head followed by “I told you, you should’ve listened to me.”

Take a second and think about it: our parents have lived through a lot more than we have. Majority of the things we go through they’ve probably already experienced, so chances are they know the outcome. You may think what they’re saying is totally outrageous, but our parents just want what’s best for us. It’s like the time your mom nagged you about taking a jacket, but you thought you were tough enough to be without one. How many times have you regretted not listening to that one?

Parents seem to have the best instincts. Of course you’re going to be furious when your parents’ trash-talk your best friend Sally or the relationship with your current boyfriend David, but years down the road when something goes wrong you’ll finally understand what they meant. If they do start giving you advice just listen what they have to say. It may not always be what you want to hear, but sometimes you need people who will do that to you in life.

TRY your best to remain calm no matter how hard it is. Occasionally, they will probably say the wrong thing, but we’ve all been there. Even if you don’t like what they’re saying just say “ok” and change the subject. Just remember they’re only trying to look out for you, and only want what’s best for you.

Years down the road you’ll most likely be thanking your parents for all of the advice they’ve given you, even if it did seem wrong at the time. Appreciate them because they’re the only ones who were always looking out for you from day one.

I am originally from Westchester, New York. I came to WVU for my undergrad in Strategic Communications with an emphasis on Public Relations and a minor in Sports Communication. My involvment on campus includes blogging for Her Campus, a sister of Alpha Phi, the assistant director of the media team on the Mountaineer Maniacs executive board and lastly, an athletic communications intern with the WVU Athletic Communications office. I will be graduating in May of 2017 and I am looking forward to getting started with my future career in Journalism and Public Relations!