You’ll Understand When You’re Older

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

The one phrase that drives every kid crazy is the inevitable, “You’ll understand when  you’re older sweetie.” These words are thrown around more carelessly that the word “cute”. The only thing that makes it worse is the fact that it is undoubtedly true… just like most other things your parents tell you a million times.

Do you remember the first song you listened to after your last break up? Or the unforgettable scene in that one movie that made you actually cry? Well, those emotions are ones that are only understood through time. Everyone knows that getting older is hard, and it never becomes easy. But you do learn from the things that you go through. Even when your world is ending, your mom just ruined your life, and you can’t face those people the next day.. you know what? You do.

Most people don’t think about why they watch the things that they do. Sitcoms, mysteries, or thrillers. They all seem to just be a way to pass the time. Of course, sometimes that may turn out to be true. Although have you ever stopped to think about what it is that makes your favorite show just that?

1. Dirty Jokes

One of the best things about cartoons is their ability to entertain all ages. They’re simple enough to be enjoyed by children, but don’t think even for a second that the writers don’t have any sympathy for the parents who relentlessly watch the same episode time and time again. I guarantee (This is for you 90’s babies) that if you go back and watch some of your favorites, you can find dirty jokes and innuendos all over the place.

2. Well That’s Ironic

When you’re a kid shows like Seinfeld and Everybody Loves Raymond are just dumb old adult shows. Let a few years pass, some feuds arise, some new family joins the team, and then you get it. Sit coms are a prime example of understanding through empathy. The writers of these shows purposely make it relatable in order to make them more enjoyable for us. Not everything is realistic, but aren’t you thrilled when you can say, “Oh my god, that JUST happened to me!.”

3. It’s Love Darling

Love. What can you even say about it? It could be argued that love is one of the most popular things to include in a show because it’s so relatable, but is also SO important. Of course, not every romance can be as fantastic as the ones you see on the screen, but showcasing love is extremely important. Cinematic love is sort of complicated to argue for however. On one hand you have the point that Hollywood makes relationships look like some huge ordeal that are completely unrealistic. But on the other hand, what would those of us without a clue do without our romcoms? We have all been guilty of pretending to be that one lovable mess of a character in our favorite romantic comedy.

4. Sex, The Final Frontier

IT would seem to Hollywood that the whole world revolves around sex. You learn as you grow that yes, sex is wonderful, necessary, and messy. But no one talks about it enough to tell you what to expect. This is where TV and movies really do their part. Maybe you’re not ready, or just don’t know what to do, movies may be able to give you some clue. But there is no doubt that once you’ve done it, the way you relate to your favorite movies changes forever.

5. The Unsightly Truth

The beauty behind modern television is their willingness to branch out to show what things would really be like. College parties, messy homes, and lies upon lies. The shows we watch bring to our attention how imperfect we are, and sometimes how okay that is.

Regardless of when you get it, someday you will. It’s better not to rush life and to take things as they come to you. But always make sure to look beyond the surface to find enjoyment in the things you do every day. Maybe you might find something new, even about yourself.

Just a Freshman trying to survive
I am originally from Westchester, New York. I came to WVU for my undergrad in Strategic Communications with an emphasis on Public Relations and a minor in Sports Communication. My involvment on campus includes blogging for Her Campus, a sister of Alpha Phi, the assistant director of the media team on the Mountaineer Maniacs executive board and lastly, an athletic communications intern with the WVU Athletic Communications office. I will be graduating in May of 2017 and I am looking forward to getting started with my future career in Journalism and Public Relations!