WVU Basketball Player Richard Romeo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

I had the chance to interview Richard Romeo III of the Mountaineer men’s basketball team. He is number 30 for the Mountaineers and is in his fourth and final year on the team. Outside of basketball Rich is marketing major in his senior year here at WVU. Beyond collegiate athletics and studies he hopes to maybe pursue coaching basketball one day.

Q: How long have you been playing basketball?

A: Since I was 11 years old.

Q: What got you into basketball in the first place?

A: Playing every sport I could as a kid.

Q: Why did you choose West Virginia University?

A: It was my dream school as a kid.

Q: Do you like it here at WVU?

A: I love it.

Q: Other than basketball, are you apart of another other teams, organizations, or clubs?

A: No.

Q: What is it like to be apart of WVU’s basketball team?

A: An honor.

Q: Do you have any certain pregame rituals or traditions?

A: Nathan Adrian and I have a competition game we play before every shoot around. Not really a ritual but we’ve always done it.

Q: Are you sad that this will be your last season here?

A: Yes of course.

Q: What’s your favorite thing about WVU basketball?

A: The family feel we have within the program.

Q: Do you have hopes or plans to further your basketball career beyond college?

A: Possibly coaching.

Q: Do you have any advice for those aspiring to become apart of the team one day?

A: You have to really love it.

Q: What one or two things do you currently do in your training that are keys to your success?

A: Eating healthy and staying overly hydrated.

Q: What is your biggest accomplishment in your sport?

A: Making it to the Sweet 16 in the NCAA tournament.

Q: What would be your ultimate achievement?

A: A national championship is the ultimate goal.

Q: What is your biggest challenge, and what do you do to manage this challenge?

A: Managing school and basketball.

Q: What is your diet like?

A: A lot of protein. A lot of fruit. Pasta and carbs on nights before games.

Q: What motivates you to play?

A: My love for the game.

I grew up in Charleston, West Virginia. Growing up here I knew there was a possibility of going to West Virginia University my entire life. Although I decided to start my college career at the University of Kentucky, those country roads led me back to WVU in the spring of my sophomore year. This was also the point when I decided to establish myself as a Broadcast Journalist student. Since this point I have strived to become the best possible journalist I can be. I am currently working as a weekend reporter for WDTV-Channel 5 in Clarksburg, West Virginia. Prior to receiving this position, I worked as an intern with WCHS-tv/FOX11, in the summer of 2014, where I learned critical editing, interviewing, writing, and speaking skills. I worked closely with anchors, reporters, editors, directors, producers, and even the web team. Aside from the television industry, I am the Campus Correspondent for the West Virginia University Chapter of the online entertainment magazine, Her Campus. Another position I currently hold is the Social Media Chair of WVU’s Radio Television Digital News Association Chapter. In the Fall of 2012, I became a sister of the Alpha Phi Fraternity, in which I held the position of ‘Big Sister Chairman.’ My other passions include horse back riding, scuba diving, being outdoors, and running. I am very adventurous and I try to stay well rounded. My goal in life is to live life to the fullest and be the best possible version of myself. My ultimate goal would be to earn a spot as a reporter/anchor for Fox News, New York. I plan to graduate in December of 2016 and look forward to my future.