Why Skydiving Needs to Be on Your Summer To-Do List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

It’s already April, which means the end of the spring semester, which means the best time imaginable: SUMMER.

During my summer last year, I did something a little insane. I went skydiving! This sort-of-kinda impromptu event happened when one of my mom’s best friends went skydiving earlier and posted about it on Facebook. As soon as I saw, I immediately thought “I NEED to do this. As soon as possible.” So, I messaged her and asked her more about it, googled it, and scheduled an appointment to jump the next weekend. Looking back, this was something totally out of my character. I have always been a planner, and even though I like heights, deciding to go skydiving in one day was just not like me. That is my first reason to go skydiving, because even before you go you’re already acting more fearless, or really I should say badass. 

Fast forward, I’m there about to jump out of an airplane with my mom, her best friend, and my grandparents in tow. But, of course, it decided to pour down the rain about 10 minutes after we pulled up so I had to reschedule and go home. Not going to lie, I was so disappointed that I didn’t get to go that day. I thought “Maybe this is a sign, I’m really not the type of person to do something like this” but then I felt like this was something I just had to do. At that time in my life, I was going through a rough patch. I was still happy, but a part of me felt weak and useless. This is where my second reason you should go skydiving comes in! It made me feel like a different person. When I landed and finally stood up, I felt strong and like I stated earlier, a total badass. I mean, I just jumped out of an airplane 11,000 feet in the air. I mean, check it out. I was having so much fun I tried to do a thumbs-up. Clearly it’s awesome.  

I know my experience will be different than others, but for me, it was the best thing I have done. People always ask me how it was, and it always seems indescribable. I can never put into words exactly what I was feeling, but I can sum it up best by telling you that it was like all the problems I had stayed in the air, and the whole way down I was feeling pure adrenaline and bliss. 

I'm Chelsea, and I attend West Virginia University! I plan to major in strategic communications with an emphasis in public relations. I'm a lover of dogs, books, food, and Netflix. “In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." - Albert Camus
I am originally from Westchester, New York. I came to WVU for my undergrad in Strategic Communications with an emphasis on Public Relations and a minor in Sports Communication. My involvment on campus includes blogging for Her Campus, a sister of Alpha Phi, the assistant director of the media team on the Mountaineer Maniacs executive board and lastly, an athletic communications intern with the WVU Athletic Communications office. I will be graduating in May of 2017 and I am looking forward to getting started with my future career in Journalism and Public Relations!