Why Catcalling is Never Okay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

“Yo girl… Can I get your number? You’re looking fine.”

“Hey sweetheart, walk back here with those legs! Come party with us!”

“Hey babe, where you headed? You’re beautiful, come back!”

To catcall is to make a whistle, shout, or comment of a sexual nature to a woman passing by.

Women of the world face this demeaning act daily, whether they are walking to work, to the bus stop or to their residence.

Catcalling is looked at as something amusing or comical, but rarely is ever a topic of scrutiny. Obviously, there are women against this issue because it directly affects them, but most people turn a blind eye to this matter.

It takes about three seconds to catcall. It takes seconds for someone to stick their head out of a window and yell a derogative comment in passing. Most people believe that realistically, since the occurrence only lasts a matter of moments, that the victim should move on just as fast. But, this isn’t the case.

Catcalls make you take a step back and look at yourself. You’d think that the remarks made to you would make you feel good. Someone told you that your long legs were stunning or that you are sexy. The person yelling those things believes that you should be honored they yelled that. But in reality, it is disgusting. It is demeaning. Lastly, it is cowardly.

If we are speaking of a typical catcall, it usually begins with a man yelling something at a woman from their home or car as she walks by. The woman does not show the man attention or acknowledges his compliments, so he gets infuriated. He yells things off the top of his head. He insults the woman. He gets frustrated and his pride is hurt.

The catcaller lost his power when the victim refused to respond. So, in response he insults the victim to regain the alpha male status. A catcall may not always go this way, but most situations play out like the one described.

How can women not feel degraded when catcalled? When they know the person’s compliment is empty and attention seeking? When the catcaller will snap once he receives no response? Also, since when is a stranger speaking to you and expecting a response ever something that is considered okay? Remember, mama said do not talk to strangers.

Overall, the issue of catcalling is absolutely disgusting and utterly ridiculous. Whatever happened to respect? Chivalry? Common decency?

This is why catcalling is never okay.

Hi ladies and gents, my name is Mel, Melanie if you're feelin' fancy. I'm a senior studying advertising, political science and fashion at West Virginia University. In addition to my studies, I am the Campus Correspondent for the WVU HC Chapter! You can hear me on the radio at U92 FM reporting the news and hosting morning shows. If I'm not there, I'm most likely at the local Panera eating my body weight in broccoli cheddar soup or writing about the daily, awkward encounters I experience. I represenative of the college of media as an ambassador and the prez of the magazine club. Oversized sweatshirts and jean on jean are my aesthetics. Lover, not a fighter unless you tell me Joe Jonas wasn't the best Jonas. Laters, baby.
  I grew up in Charleston, West Virginia. Growing up here I knew there was a possibility of going to West Virginia University my entire life. Although I decided to start my college career at the University of Kentucky, those country roads led me back to WVU in the spring of my sophomore year. This was also the point when I decided to establish myself as a Broadcast Journalist student. Since this point I have strived to become the best possible journalist I can be. I am currently working as a weekend reporter for WDTV-Channel 5 in Clarksburg, West Virginia. Prior to receiving this position, I worked as an intern with WCHS-tv/FOX11, in the summer of 2014, where I learned critical editing, interviewing, writing, and speaking skills. I worked closely with anchors, reporters, editors, directors, producers, and even the web team. Aside from the television industry, I am the Campus Correspondent for the West Virginia University Chapter of the online entertainment magazine, Her Campus. Another position I currently hold is the Social Media Chair of WVU’s Radio Television Digital News Association Chapter. In the Fall of 2012, I became a sister of the Alpha Phi Fraternity, in which I held the position of ‘Big Sister Chairman.’ My other passions include horse back riding, scuba diving, being outdoors, and running. I am very adventurous and I try to stay well rounded. My goal in life is to live life to the fullest and be the best possible version of myself. My ultimate goal would be to earn a spot as a reporter/anchor for Fox News, New York. I plan to graduate in December of 2016 and look forward to my future.