Wellness > Health

What to Know Before, During and After your Nose Job

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

The technical definition of a nose job: an operation involving rhinoplasty or cosmetic surgery on a person’s nose. My experience having it done: an interesting time that was tolerable, but unpleasant. If a new nose is what you choose, here are some tips, tricks, and insight on what to expect.

1. It’s probably not best to go searching for people’s experiences online before you go under the knife. It’s just added stress.

Every surgery is different, every surgeon is different and every nose is different. Until you’ve awakened from the anesthesia and then spent about 36 hours sleeping, there is no way to know how your body has responded to (major!) facial surgery. Worrying will solve nothing– it will only add stress to life with the old nose.

2. Don’t make major plans after surgery. That’s stressful, too.

Sleeping was my favorite– and only– thing to do post-procedure. Anesthesia and pain medication affects everyone differently, but regardless, your body needs time to rest and heal. It’s definitely a fluctuating feeling of being totally fine and being totally not. Don’t overdo it when it comes to leaving the couch/bed. Just rest.

3. Keep the healing area clean. I repeat… CLEAN.

My biggest advice is to clean inside your nose 3-4 times a day. With the blood and mucus still draining from your nose, the gauze taped on your face will catch it, but it will also crust around your stitches if it sits too long. I was told by my doctor that crusting inside the nose would make the removal of the internal splints and stitches much more difficult.

4. Stock your home with straws and drink water constantly.

I couldn’t drink anything directly through my mouth because moving the upper lip pulled the base of my nose down. I resorted to sticking the straw into the backsides of my mouth and staying hydrated that way. Hydration is key since you’re mouth-breathing and might lack an appetite. Drinking too much water can’t hurt you when your body needs it.

5. Keep the skin around your nose and your lips healthy.

Your skin can dry out with the gauze and the tape, and mouth-breathing will destroy your lips, so Elizabeth Arden’s 8-Hour Skin Protectant or Aquaphor Healing Treatment will be a great addition to your care-products.

6. Post-procedure foreign object removal.

Taking my external splint off was extremely easy, I just used a cup to pour water on my face until it fell off. My doctor used internal splints up each nostril instead of packing, which weren’t the most comfortable but did offer the absolute most satisfactory feeling while being removed. The stitches were my biggest issue and getting them taken out was highly unpleasant, but it was only about three minutes of my life.

7. Long(er) term recovery.

Two weeks after surgery the pain had subsided into mild discomfort. Most of the time I forgot there was any surgical damage done, until I tried to blow my nose or mistakenly touched it (usually unintentionally) with too much force. After three weeks, I was back to normal exercise and haven’t needed pain medication since.

Maura is a senior at West Virginia University, studying honors journalism and leadership. She was the president of Her Campus at WVU from 2018-2019, interns with ESPN College GameDay and works as a marketing/communication assistant for the Reed College of Media. On campus, she has written opinion for WVU's Daily Athenaeum, served as the PR chair for WVU Society of Professional Journalists and was a reporter for WVUToday. She teaches leadership classes for the Honors College and is an active member of both the Honors Student Association and Helvetia Honorary. Maura is an avid fan of The New Yorker, (most) cities and the first half of late-night talk shows.
Hi ladies and gents, my name is Mel, Melanie if you're feelin' fancy. I'm a senior studying advertising, political science and fashion at West Virginia University. In addition to my studies, I am the Campus Correspondent for the WVU HC Chapter! You can hear me on the radio at U92 FM reporting the news and hosting morning shows. If I'm not there, I'm most likely at the local Panera eating my body weight in broccoli cheddar soup or writing about the daily, awkward encounters I experience. I represenative of the college of media as an ambassador and the prez of the magazine club. Oversized sweatshirts and jean on jean are my aesthetics. Lover, not a fighter unless you tell me Joe Jonas wasn't the best Jonas. Laters, baby.