What It’s Like To Be A True WVU Fan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

We all know how important WVU is to, well, the entire state of West Virginia and every single person in the world who has any ties to our great state.  West Virginia University is not just a school…  It’s a feeling. It’s sense of pride. It’s the song “Country Roads” after a victory. It’s one big family.

Recently we were voted as the most annoying fan base in college football.  But hey, we’re okay with that. In the words of the great James Franco, everyone else is just “PEANUT BUTTER AND JEALOUS!”

There’s one thing I think we can agree on; We have been waiting since December 29th for another WVU football game and the time is FINALLY arriving.  On September 5th, 2015 at 7:30 p.m. the greatest tradition in college football will kick off.

We realize that the wait for the WVU season is like a ride.  We have emotional ups and downs and twists and turns but the longer the wait the longer we can’t wait for the start of the season.  We aren’t just waiting for the players to step on the field, we’re waiting for the tailgates, the band, the cheerleaders, the student section, and to hear “Country Roads” erupt all over Morgantown after another victory.

We all have the same sense that every other fan of any other team in college football is nowhere near as cool as us, fun as us, dedicated as us, and they clearly want to be us because, who wouldn’t?  But let’s be honest with ourselves… We’re CLEARLY right in this situation.

And we also know that people will try to develop logical arguments as to why their defense will be better than ours and we really do try to listen.  But since we already know they are wrong we resort to the ‘I’m trying to give you my attention but I’m going to respond to everything you say with a smart ass retaliation because I’m right and you’re wrong.’

We all know that this football season will be better than the last and we all still hold out hope that this will be the season that WVU takes home the National Title Trophy. I mean, we have to win one eventaully, right?

Yeah, we understand we may have had a few rough seasons since Rich Rod left us but did someone really just say we are going to have a losing season this year?? News Flash! We are ready for one kick ass season. Shame on those people.

As a WVU fan since birth, there’s one thing that has been passed down from generation to generation and none of us can stop thinking about that glorious tailgate tradition.  It’s like the holy grail of college traditions and you can see a sea of blue and gold for miles, along with case after case of your favorite luxury beers such as The Natural Light and Bud Light (just kidding about the luxury part, but who doesn’t love a cheap beer that does the job) and the smell of charcoal burning grills cooking hot dogs and hamburgers filling up the air.

As a Mountaineer, we all feel extremely obligated to stand up for our team and defend them in all situations.  Even if your best friend, who unfortuanately attends school at the dreaded PITT decideds to start an argument as to why PITT is better than WVU… they are clearly oblivious to the rules of football and Gods wishes… I mean he made the sky blue and sun yellow for a reason.

WVU fans don’t just have an opinion that we are the best fan base in the nation, we know we are and this is one of the many reasons why WVU fans really are the best. 

But one of the best things about being a Mountaineer is the union we have. Whenever we see someone with a WVU hat or shirt on, no matter where we are in the world you hear either a “Let’s Go Mountaineers!” or “Always great to see another fan around here” instead of the typical “hey, how are you” that everyone else greets one another with. We all get excited to see another mountaineer. We will always be there for another mountaineer.  And for these reasons, we truly believe that there is no fan like a WVU fan. 

I grew up in Charleston, West Virginia. Growing up here I knew there was a possibility of going to West Virginia University my entire life. Although I decided to start my college career at the University of Kentucky, those country roads led me back to WVU in the spring of my sophomore year. This was also the point when I decided to establish myself as a Broadcast Journalist student. Since this point I have strived to become the best possible journalist I can be. I am currently working as a weekend reporter for WDTV-Channel 5 in Clarksburg, West Virginia. Prior to receiving this position, I worked as an intern with WCHS-tv/FOX11, in the summer of 2014, where I learned critical editing, interviewing, writing, and speaking skills. I worked closely with anchors, reporters, editors, directors, producers, and even the web team. Aside from the television industry, I am the Campus Correspondent for the West Virginia University Chapter of the online entertainment magazine, Her Campus. Another position I currently hold is the Social Media Chair of WVU’s Radio Television Digital News Association Chapter. In the Fall of 2012, I became a sister of the Alpha Phi Fraternity, in which I held the position of ‘Big Sister Chairman.’ My other passions include horse back riding, scuba diving, being outdoors, and running. I am very adventurous and I try to stay well rounded. My goal in life is to live life to the fullest and be the best possible version of myself. My ultimate goal would be to earn a spot as a reporter/anchor for Fox News, New York. I plan to graduate in December of 2016 and look forward to my future.