Style > Beauty

Try this at Home: Natural Skincare and Beauty Remedies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Rev-up your summer beauty looks with these at-home remedies – all the ingredients are super-affordable and may already be in your kitchen!

Lemon Juice: Many young women have used a cocktail of lemon juice (yes, the kind you buy for 99 cents at the supermarket) and leave-in conditioner to lighten their locks in the sun. The lightening power of lemon can also be used to lighten dark spots on your skin caused by the sun or old scars. Swipe a cotton ball doused in lemon juice on the spots for ten minutes a day, and you will be amazed. Be sure to wash it off when you are done; exposing lemon-infused skin to the sun reverses the results.

Green Tea Bags: Filled with antioxidants that have awesome health benefits for the inside of your body, green tea’s magic also works on your complexion. Soak a green tea bag in hot water as if you were making a cup to drink and let it cool a little. Then, rub it evenly onto your face to reveal a healthier complexion. This remedy isn’t all superficial, either. While it does reduce redness and blemishes, it does so by removing the harmful toxins in your skin that cause them.

Coconut Oil: Coconut oil is more than just a craze; it definitely lives up to its hype. Use unrefined coconut oil as a leave-in treatment to soften and texturize hair; as a long-lasting moisturizer on skin and those stubborn cuticles (without the perfume-y smell of lotions); and even as a 20- to 30-minute mouth rinse to whiten teeth and boost gum health. There is virtually nothing it cannot do!

Matches: Thinking about ditching the dark eye make-up this season? Think again! Strike a match or two, blow them out and use the ash to create the coveted grunge-meets-glam eyeliner and eye shadow looks, using the same brushes you would for powdered eye shadow to apply it. You may need to add a couple drops of water to the ash to create your desired consistency. 

Madalyn is a journalism graduate student at West Virginia University. In 2016 she graduated with a B.S. in journalism from WVU. She also completed a minor in Spanish language, literature and linguistics. When she is not studying or working, Madalyn enjoys reading, exercising (especially running, hiking and cycling), playing with her dogs, art and fashion. 
  I grew up in Charleston, West Virginia. Growing up here I knew there was a possibility of going to West Virginia University my entire life. Although I decided to start my college career at the University of Kentucky, those country roads led me back to WVU in the spring of my sophomore year. This was also the point when I decided to establish myself as a Broadcast Journalist student. Since this point I have strived to become the best possible journalist I can be. I am currently working as a weekend reporter for WDTV-Channel 5 in Clarksburg, West Virginia. Prior to receiving this position, I worked as an intern with WCHS-tv/FOX11, in the summer of 2014, where I learned critical editing, interviewing, writing, and speaking skills. I worked closely with anchors, reporters, editors, directors, producers, and even the web team. Aside from the television industry, I am the Campus Correspondent for the West Virginia University Chapter of the online entertainment magazine, Her Campus. Another position I currently hold is the Social Media Chair of WVU’s Radio Television Digital News Association Chapter. In the Fall of 2012, I became a sister of the Alpha Phi Fraternity, in which I held the position of ‘Big Sister Chairman.’ My other passions include horse back riding, scuba diving, being outdoors, and running. I am very adventurous and I try to stay well rounded. My goal in life is to live life to the fullest and be the best possible version of myself. My ultimate goal would be to earn a spot as a reporter/anchor for Fox News, New York. I plan to graduate in December of 2016 and look forward to my future.