woman wearing green graduation cap
woman wearing green graduation cap
Juan Ramos/Unsplash

A Thank You Letter To Your Roommate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

As you come closer to graduating, you begin to reflect on your last few years and how much you’ve grown as a person, the amazing people you’ve met, and all the memories you’ve created. Then, you start to think about your future, and realize that the people you’ve lived with for the past couple years, will most likely no longer be your roommates. But, before the tears start flowing, it’s only appropriate tell your roommates thank you.

Dear Roomie(s):

I know I’m not an easy person to live with. I know that I get on your nerves, and do things that make you mad, but here’s just a little something to tell you how much I truly appreciate your friendship.

Well to start, thank you for putting up with all my shit for as long as you have. I honestly don’t know how you do it. I know I do things that make you cringe, and just know, I really am working on doing my own dishes and getting all my hair out of the drain after my showers.

Thank you for being there when I need a shoulder to cry on with a box of tissues in your hand. You’ve been there for every heartbreak, every failed test, and every other sad time over the past few years. It’s those moments where I needed you the most that you never let me down.

Thank you for being my biggest support system. You’ve supported every good and bad decision I’ve made thus far in college, even when you didn’t agree.  No matter the outcome, you are always there to help me celebrate or pick up the pieces when it came back to bite me in the ass. That’s true friendship.

Thank you for continually pushing me to my fullest potential even when I doubt myself. When I need those extra words of encouragement, you always have something to say.  

“Come on! One more shot, you can do it!”

*Holds hair while pukes*

But most of all, thanks for the memories. My greatest memories are the ones with you, and I wouldn’t change a thing about them. These are the stories that I will tell my grandkids someday. I am forever thankful to not only call you my roommate, but my best friend.

Love you always,

Roomie.

Hey, everyone! I'm Jamie. I'm a Senior Strategic Communications major with Emphasis in Public Relations. I'm a Pittsburgh native, and after graduation I hope to pursue my passion in Public Relations and writing!
  I grew up in Charleston, West Virginia. Growing up here I knew there was a possibility of going to West Virginia University my entire life. Although I decided to start my college career at the University of Kentucky, those country roads led me back to WVU in the spring of my sophomore year. This was also the point when I decided to establish myself as a Broadcast Journalist student. Since this point I have strived to become the best possible journalist I can be. I am currently working as a weekend reporter for WDTV-Channel 5 in Clarksburg, West Virginia. Prior to receiving this position, I worked as an intern with WCHS-tv/FOX11, in the summer of 2014, where I learned critical editing, interviewing, writing, and speaking skills. I worked closely with anchors, reporters, editors, directors, producers, and even the web team. Aside from the television industry, I am the Campus Correspondent for the West Virginia University Chapter of the online entertainment magazine, Her Campus. Another position I currently hold is the Social Media Chair of WVU’s Radio Television Digital News Association Chapter. In the Fall of 2012, I became a sister of the Alpha Phi Fraternity, in which I held the position of ‘Big Sister Chairman.’ My other passions include horse back riding, scuba diving, being outdoors, and running. I am very adventurous and I try to stay well rounded. My goal in life is to live life to the fullest and be the best possible version of myself. My ultimate goal would be to earn a spot as a reporter/anchor for Fox News, New York. I plan to graduate in December of 2016 and look forward to my future.