Style

Style Guide for Wearing Floral Pieces This Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Dying to drag out your favorite spring florals? Or are florals your favorite trend? Either way, you no longer need to fret over styling these beautiful, intricate and soft designs.

1. Sweaters are key

Especially with the latest floral embroidery trend, it is very simple to find winter items such as pants and scarves. My absolute favorite thing to wear in the winter is a comfy sweater. Find a floral sweater that makes you want to cozy up by the fireplace with a cup of tee. A sweater like this can be found at Urban Outfitters, Forever 21, ASOS and American Eagle. Really up the floral game by pairing your new sweater with floral embroidered jeans and a denim jacket with a rose patch.

2. Add winter accessories to your spring looks

As “groundbreaking” as it is to wear florals in spring, you must admit that we all do it and retailers will continue to sell it. Personally, floral prints are one of my favorite prints because it is feminine yet can show off many types of personalities from frilly to edgy. Pull out your favorite spring items and get creative. Through on a fur coat of another print if you’re going for a funky look. You can also pair a loose-cropped sweater over a floral dress with tights and chunky boots. For a comfy day, pair floral tights with an oversized sweater or sweatshirt. You might even be able to find mittens or hats with floral detail so you can style the trend no matter how freezing the weather gets.

3. Go vintage

The best part about fashion is that trends constantly recirculate. Head to your local thrift shop and pick out some cool and vintage floral pieces. Dad-like clothing are always good winter pieces. You can find an old tourist-inspired shirt to pair with flare jeans for a 70’s feel, which is one of the most popular trends currently. So, you can sport multiple trends at once while strutting to class. Or you can find an old jacket or flannel and add on your own floral patches to make the piece really unique.  

Kristen completed her undergraduate degree in journalism at West Virginia University in May 2019. She is currently pursuing her master's degree in the Integrated Marketing Communications program at WVU. During undergrad, she was the managing editor of Her Campus at WVU and editor-in-chief of Mirage Magazine in the 2018-2019 year. Kristen is currently the student editor at 100 Days in Appalachia and a freelance writer for West Virginia-based publications. Previously, she has served as the communications and marketing intern for the WVU Eberly College of Arts and Sciences, a writing and editing intern for New South Media and a photographer for the Daily Athenaeum. She is an avid fan of alt-rock, photography and advocating for women's equality and the prevalence of solutions journalism. Kristen hopes to one day report on internet culture and technology. 
Hi ladies and gents, my name is Mel, Melanie if you're feelin' fancy. I'm a senior studying advertising, political science and fashion at West Virginia University. In addition to my studies, I am the Campus Correspondent for the WVU HC Chapter! You can hear me on the radio at U92 FM reporting the news and hosting morning shows. If I'm not there, I'm most likely at the local Panera eating my body weight in broccoli cheddar soup or writing about the daily, awkward encounters I experience. I represenative of the college of media as an ambassador and the prez of the magazine club. Oversized sweatshirts and jean on jean are my aesthetics. Lover, not a fighter unless you tell me Joe Jonas wasn't the best Jonas. Laters, baby.