samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Studying Abroad with Kaitlin Chinn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Even though Katlin Chinn is young, she has already seen so much of the world! Katlin has studied abroad mostly in France and has seen many more amazing places that the earth has to offer. She is an adventurer and everyone should have the joy she has for exploring the world. 

Jeana: What is your major and what year are you in school?

Kaitlin: I am a double major in Art History and French. I’m currently a junior!

J: Where did you study abroad and why did you choose to study there?

K: So, I’ve studied abroad twice with WVU. My first time was in Lille, France for a semester and it was for my French major. I chose Lille because it was in a really great location. Then, I just finished a trip with the Art History department. We studied medieval stained glass in Paris and Chartres, France as well as Brussels, Bruges, Antwerp, Belgium, and also Amsterdam.

K: This picture is at La Braderie in Lille, where you eat mussels and the restaurant tosses the shells onto the streets creating piles 5 ft. tall!

J: What is your favorite thing to do while in France

K: Haha eat! They have the best cuisine and also just to explore!

J: Where is your favorite place in France and why?

K: My favorite place is Lille, of course. After spending a semester there, it started to feel like home! It’s a large city, but everyone was always so friendly and welcoming! Lille also has a mix of Belgian and French culture since its only a few miles from the Belgian border!

K: This past spring break, we visited La bibliotheque nationale de l’histoire de l’art (the National Library of Art History) in Paris, which we can have access to once we obtain our degrees!

J: What are the people that you’ve met while abroad like? Do you still keep in touch?

K: All of the friends I made I still keep in touch with! A lot of the friends I made were also studying abroad, so I made friends from Spain, Ireland, England, France, Italy, America, etc.

J: What is the best lesson you will take with you from your time abroad?

K: I would just say that it’s important to plan! If you’re studying abroad where you need to know a language, be sure to practice the language. Also, try new things! I think I learned a lot about myself just by trying new things!

J: What is the thing you want to tell someone who’s thinking about studying abroad?

K: I would tell them to do it! It’s an experience you will never have again outside of college!

I'm a freshman attending West Virginia University. I'm majoring in elementary education with a specialization in English. I'm so excited to see where my journey as a mountaineer takes me!
I am originally from Westchester, New York. I came to WVU for my undergrad in Strategic Communications with an emphasis on Public Relations and a minor in Sports Communication. My involvment on campus includes blogging for Her Campus, a sister of Alpha Phi, the assistant director of the media team on the Mountaineer Maniacs executive board and lastly, an athletic communications intern with the WVU Athletic Communications office. I will be graduating in May of 2017 and I am looking forward to getting started with my future career in Journalism and Public Relations!