Straying Away From the Usual

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Your first year of college should be about new beginnings. Forget about everything that went wrong the last 18 years of your life and start over. College is your time to discover yourself and interests you never would imagine you would fall in love with. Stray away from the usual.

1. Incorporate new music to start off easy

Listening to new music always helps me look at things in different perspectives.

(i.e. Photo by Emma Darvick) www.emmadarvick.com 

2. Read a book

Yeah, I get it. It is college. Who has time to read? Take the time to relax and read a good book. This will give your mind a little break from the usually text book.

3. Start a journal

If you have never had a journal, start now. This would be a great way to look back on college and the way you thought.

4. Talk to new people

Stop only talking to the people you know. Join a club to meet others. Take advantage of all the opportunities college has to offer.

5. Spend more time to yourself

Take time to relax. Take time to learn more about yourself and who you want to be. Being alone will give you the chance to have an open mind.

Doing any of the above are great ways to start straying away. Understand how important you are. The little things will all fall into place once you realize what you want, believe, and when you truly love yourself. 

Madelynn is a junior at West Virginia University. She is majoring in strategic communication with an emphasis in public relations. Madelynn plans on working for a non-profit organization after graduation. She is involved in Her Campus, Omega Phi Alpha, Ed On Campus, Active Minds, & WVU Student Events Board. Madelynn is passionate about community service and helping others. 
I am originally from Westchester, New York. I came to WVU for my undergrad in Strategic Communications with an emphasis on Public Relations and a minor in Sports Communication. My involvment on campus includes blogging for Her Campus, a sister of Alpha Phi, the assistant director of the media team on the Mountaineer Maniacs executive board and lastly, an athletic communications intern with the WVU Athletic Communications office. I will be graduating in May of 2017 and I am looking forward to getting started with my future career in Journalism and Public Relations!