This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

A week-long getaway from school with your best pals? Sounds fantastic. Planning it? Not so much.

COMMUNICATION

Two’s a party, three’s a crowd, and all 15 of your college floor mates could be trouble. Before deciding on any plans at all, make sure you have some ground rules when it comes to commitment. One person– or a few– bailing at the last minute is a headache waiting to happen. Having X people vying for X different things can get tricky, especially with a larger group, so consider having one person call the logistical shots but do avoid a vaca tyranny.

$$$

From that one friend that refuses to spend more than the bare minimum (and should probably be on TLC’s Extreme Couponing,) to another that couldn’t care less how much cash she’s spending, navigating costs of the trip can be a tentative subject. Be on the same page– have everyone discuss their ideal budget and make sure everyone is willing to compromise when needed.

DESTINATION 

This is– quite possibly– the most difficult aspect of planning a spring break trip. Exotic locations like Cancun or Cabo sound great but are sometimes out of reach. And remember, if you’re staying in the country, most beach locations commonly associated with spring break aren’t the warmest, as the week-off is typically scheduled just as winter is on the way out. Look at other options that won’t have you shivering in a bikini in 55-degree weather, like Nashville or NYC, a ski trip or camping.

TRAVEL/LODGING

The internet is truly a magical place. There are huge discounts on air travel for college students, all-inclusive or partial package deals for your entire trip, and sites like Airbnb and VRBO offer significant as hotel alternatives. Check out websites specifically aimed at college students such as Student City, Student Universe, and STA Travel.

FOOD/ACTIVITIES

Eating out at restaurants for a week straight can be pricey. If your lodging accommodations have a kitchen, take advantage! (You may want to put that on your radar while choosing a place to stay.) Whether you’re traveling with a few friends or a bigger group, not everyone is going to want to do the same things, eat at the same places and spend a full week with no alone time. Split up when needed so everyone can make the most of their trip.

HAVE FUN

It’s sadly far too easy to get bogged down with logistics and organization and a spotless itinerary, so keep in mind this doesn’t have to be the perfect week. If you’re the one planning the trip, don’t be too hard on yourself to make it great. If you’re not mainly planning it but there’s someone who is, be kind. It’s stressful to not want to disappoint your friends and how they’re spending their time and money. Remember to ENJOY your week off.

Maura is a senior at West Virginia University, studying honors journalism and leadership. She was the president of Her Campus at WVU from 2018-2019, interns with ESPN College GameDay and works as a marketing/communication assistant for the Reed College of Media. On campus, she has written opinion for WVU's Daily Athenaeum, served as the PR chair for WVU Society of Professional Journalists and was a reporter for WVUToday. She teaches leadership classes for the Honors College and is an active member of both the Honors Student Association and Helvetia Honorary. Maura is an avid fan of The New Yorker, (most) cities and the first half of late-night talk shows.
Hi ladies and gents, my name is Mel, Melanie if you're feelin' fancy. I'm a senior studying advertising, political science and fashion at West Virginia University. In addition to my studies, I am the Campus Correspondent for the WVU HC Chapter! You can hear me on the radio at U92 FM reporting the news and hosting morning shows. If I'm not there, I'm most likely at the local Panera eating my body weight in broccoli cheddar soup or writing about the daily, awkward encounters I experience. I represenative of the college of media as an ambassador and the prez of the magazine club. Oversized sweatshirts and jean on jean are my aesthetics. Lover, not a fighter unless you tell me Joe Jonas wasn't the best Jonas. Laters, baby.