Snoop Dogg & Wiz Khalifa

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

This past Friday, West Virginia University hosted the melding of old and new as Snoop Dogg and Wiz Khalifa shared the stage at our very own Coliseum. I was most impressed by the impeccable turnout, seeing as this past weekend also held Penn State’s biggest party of the year- State Patties. But whether students decided to opt out Penn State’s bash or if they squeezed them both into one crazy weekend, WVU students were in high attendance to the concert.

Snoop, the bold, aged-legend, wore a ‘race-car-esk’ onesie, and pleased with a mixture of new tunes and old throwbacks including a shout out to both Biggie-Smalls and Tupac. He pumped up the crowd by inviting ‘some sexy ladies’ from the floor area onto to the stage to act as impromptu background dancers. The girls took this opportunity to bump and grind with not only each other, but also with Snoop’s posse- including his father.

Prior to Snoop, Wiz Khalifa warmed up the stage with songs ranging from his wildly popular “Black and Yellow” to less-known, but equally entertaining songs, such as “The Thrill.” He, too, arrived with a posse popularly known to fans as “Taylor Gang.” Although the origin of the name is still up for debate, Wiz had the crowd chanting its slogan in thunderous unison- “Taylor Gang or die.”

Friday afternoon before the concert, our campus felt particularly electric with excitement. Now, this may just be my perspective because I was looking forward to the concert, however, it seemed that although many students weren’t able to get tickets to the show, they celebrated anyway.

Devin is a sophomore at West Virginia University, class of 2013. She was a direct-admit into the School of Journalism as a freshman, where she is now majoring in Public Relations with two minors in Political Science and Professional Writing & Editing. Devin started her journalism career in Fairmont, WV. In high school, she served as the Editor-in-Chief of the 2007-2008 and 2008-2009 Maple Leaves Yearbook, which went on to receive a Silver Medal in the Columbia Scholastic Program of Achievement. She was a columnist for her local newspaper, The Times West Virginian, for two years. During her senior year in high school, Devin was a columnist for a national magazine, Gladys, where she went on to become the Public Relations Manager. At WVU, Devin is a member of Chi Omega Sorority. In her spare time, Devin enjoys drinking skinny vanilla lattes, watching Saturday Night Live (re-runs, of course, because she is never home on a Saturday night), and buying cocktail dresses. When she grows up, Devin wants to be a lawyer.